Chapter 33: Beef Jerky and Shitty Coffee

February 24th, 2016

February 24th, 2016. 10:30 am.
~Y/n's pov

I rolled my eyes listening to Brian and Tim arguing about something as we were halfway across the United States. I scrolled on my phone, reading all of the updates my friends have been texting me about. Oh, yeah, we all have made up and understood that I had to leave. Anyway, apparently Sara and Travis got together and he's been hanging out with the girls way more than they ever expected him to. They're all very sad I had to go and obviously miss me a shit ton. Hazel always says that life isn't the same without me there with them, and it flatters me every time I hear it.

My life has been a rollercoaster the last two months, but when has it ever been normal?

My mom got to see Brian again as I brought him home to reunite them. She didn't take it too well at first because she slapped him, but then brought him in for the tightest hug she had ever given him. It was very bittersweet to see. We weren't sure about telling her everything that had to do with The Operator, but we had to if I were to ever go and travel around with those two men up front.

She was very confused and in denial about it because she thought we were lying, but it all started to make sense in the end. Of course she was afraid for us, but we really couldn't do much about it besides work on killing the damn thing. I told her that she should sell the house and move somewhere else. Brian also egged her on to get in contact with our dad once again. I looked at him like he was absolutely crazy at first, but he made some pretty good points. They both have changed as people, and that dad did nothing but sulk around because they were divorced.

The feeling of something being thrown at my face caught my attention. "Yo! Are you even listening to us, Y/n?" I looked up to see Brian turned around in his seat to face me. He had an eyebrow raised at me. "No! Because you two fuckers are arguing about which beef jerky tastes better and I would rather not listen to it!" He scoffed. "But it's serious!" I rolled my eyes and shoved his face away with my hand to look out the window again at the boring sight of the highway.

Ever since that night, Brian and I have gotten close again. We naturally became each other's best friends again after a few weeks passed by. It was very awkward at first because he didn't know how I felt...and I didn't really know how to feel. I knew that I was grateful that he wasn't actually dead and that I could talk to him and hug him again. It's understandable that he didn't want to drag me into his shit, but to never talk to your sister again would probably be painful as fuck.

I shook my head and went on my phone to scroll through my photo album. It had so many pictures of my friends and I. There were pictures of buildings I thought were pretty and sunsets I liked at the moment I captured them. But my smile dropped a bit seeing the amounts of pics I had of Toby. I took most of them when he wasn't looking because I always wanted to get him when he was in the best pose or best lighting. I think I just liked to look at him a lot so I took a shit ton of pictures so I could always remember his face.