Chapter 17 • Unofficial Race

"Coffee, darling?" Mum asks, bringing me out of my daze.

Inhaling a big breath, I sit down at the breakfast table, "Yes, please."

I haven't been up for long. The rain pelting on the window pane woke me from a deep sleep and since the boys weren't awake yet, I thought I'd let them sleep. It was a welcomed surprise to know that Mum has been awake for a while and had already made coffee.

"There ya go, darling. Aw, did my grandsons keep you and JJ up late last night?"

"Last night and this morning," I reply, feeling around for my coffee mug and I take a sip. "It's like they can sense when I've just fallen asleep and they're like, 'oh no you don't, Dad!'"

Mum laughs at my exaggeration, "I would say it gets easier, but I'm afraid it'll be a while till you get a full night's sleep again."

I scoff, "I don't know how much more one and a half hours of sleep a night I can take. I feel like a zombie version of myself."

"Well, my zombie son, it's a good thing your mum has a plan."

"Huh? What plan?"

"Leo has offered to take on me, the babies and Maggie this weekend to give you and JJ time for some much needed rest . . . and whatnot," she suggestively says and I feel my cheeks warm up with embarrassment. Maggie makes a high-pitched whine, no doubt from hearing Mum say her name and I reach down to pet her head. "You and JJ can have the whole house to yourselves. It's not Buckingham, mind you, but you'll have two days and nights of uninterrupted sleep."

I sigh in relief, "That will be wonderful. I know JJ is going to appreciate it. Thanks, Mum."

"Anything for my grandsons."

"And . . ." I jokingly press, waving my hand.

"And what?"

"So I'm not even on the list anymore, huh?"

"You know I'm teasing," she says, placing her hand on my shoulder. "You'll always be my baby boy," she pecks my cheek. "Now how about a veggie omelette? I believe JJ's still sleeping since she hasn't come out of the bedroom."

"Uh, yeah, she didn't even stir when I got out of bed. She's usually the first one up, well, that was before the babies arrived. A lot has changed since the babies arrived." Mum quietly laughs at my joke and I hear her start the gas stove. "So, a whole weekend crying-free and nappy-free, hey?"

"For you and JJ, but not me and Leo," Mum jokes, making me laugh. "Spinach, tomato and cheese still your favourite combination of omelette?"

"It is, but I wouldn't turn down anything right now. My stomach feels completely empty."

"My poor baby," she coos, making me chuckle.

The sound of the babies crying pierces through the drywall and closed bedroom door and I exhale a deep breath.

"I think two little boys are awake," Mum says and I take the last sip of coffee.

"Mhm, that's safe to say. Wish me luck."

Mum laughs as I unfold my white cane and I make my way over to the bedroom. I don't even bother to knock since JJ won't be able to hear it over the boys' crying so I open the door and call out JJ's name.

"Are you decent?"

"My boob is hanging out."

"Damn, I wish I had my eyesight," I joke, carefully opening the door to step inside and I shut it behind me. I walk over toward the sound of my wailing sons and hold out my hand. "Where are you, love?"