Chapter Six

When I woke up the next morning, I was in agonizing pain as I rolled over onto my back. I kept my eyes shut, wincing with every movement I was making before opening my eyes.

As I laid there, I heard noises from what sounded like they were coming from outside. I slowly sat up on the bed then walked over to the window and looked out. I didn't see anyone, then I turned around and started walking to the door.

Once I opened it, I heard the noises clearer. It sounded like someone talking, which sounded like my aunt as I walked further away from my room.

I heard my aunt's voice as I rounded the corner, then stopped when I saw her at the front door. I also saw Ella standing there, and when she saw me, her eyes lit up.

"Holly!"

My aunt turned her head towards me, but I avoided eye contact. I stood there as my aunt looked back at Ella before looking back at me once again.

"She was telling me about a birthday party you got invited to. You never told me about it." She said, and I glanced over at her for a moment.

"Forgot." I said.

"Can she come?" Ella asks. "Please?"

When I looked over at my aunt, she stared at me before looking back at Ella. "She'll be over there soon." She said, making Ella get excited as she ran home. She shut the door and turned towards me, making me look at the wall. "Go."

I looked at her before furrowing my eyebrows. "What?"

"Go." She said. "I want you out of the house for a while anyway." She walked towards me then stopped next to me. "But let me be clear... if you tell someone about what goes on in this house... I'll make sure to do something very special for you." She walked away afterwards.

After walking back to my room, I grabbed my phone and placed it on charge. I went to the bathroom to take a shower, then got dressed afterwards. I blow-dried my hair before putting it into a bun as I finished getting ready.

As I left the house, I didn't speak to my aunt. I walked out and walked over to Ella's house, walking through the yards before walking up to the house. I had my phone in my pocket of my jeans, and a sweater on this time.

I was thinking about wearing my hoodie but knew it would raise questions. I decided to wear a sweater, which was still suspicious but a little less than the hoodie.

As I stood in front of the door, I sighed before knocking and waiting for someone to answer. I could feel my heart in my throat as I was waiting, then finally heard someone walking towards the door.

When it opened, I saw Miss Adeline standing there looking more beautiful than ever. I saw her smile before allowing me to walk inside, then she closed the door behind her. I turned towards her as she walked towards me, then told me to follow her into the living room, which I did without a second thought.

"I'm not sure if Ella told you, but this is a pool party." Miss Adeline smiled at me. "You seem be wearing the wrong clothes." She looked me up and down, and I could have died right there.

"I don't own a bathing suit." I said. "I don't really like swimming."

She raised an eyebrow. "Don't like swimming?" She placed the back of her hand on my forehead, then smiled at me. "You sure you're ok?" She chuckled.

When Ella came into the living room, she rushed to me before hugging me. I winced before hugging her back, then she pulled away after a moment, which I caught sight of Adeline watching us before looking away.

"I forgot to mention that it was a pool party."

"That's ok. I don't... wanna swim anyway." I said, glancing at Miss Adeline as she already looking at me. I saw her watch us as Ella was asking why I didn't want to swim when it was hot outside. "I don't know." I said, making her laugh.