Chapter Twenty-Two

I hope y'all are ready for a thriller chapter!

The weekend came around fast enough, and I was thankful. I was tired of school already, and the amount of time I got to spend with Adeline was something I couldn't explain.

Everything was happening all at once, and I didn't mind but the feeling in my chest was something that felt like a dream.

That woman had me in the palm of her hands, and she doesn't even know how I've been feeling about her.

When opportunities rise, I want to tell Adeline everything and all my feelings, but I always stop myself. I wasn't sure why I couldn't say anything, but the thought was scary.

Even though she's already admitted to me, it was still a scary thought to have all my feelings out on the table.

It honestly felt like a dream, and I didn't want to wake up. I wanted to stay asleep forever, in this moment, with this woman that I've been in love with for years.

"My dad is supposed to be taking me to Disney Land on my Spring Break." Ella smiled as we were standing outside. Her dad had pulled up, ready to take her for the weekend, and I was standing next to her.

"Sounds fun." I smiled.

Adeline and her ex-husband were near his car, talking. I kept glancing over at them because Adeline kept glancing at me. I couldn't stop this smile that was spreading across my face because I knew that we had alone time this weekend.

Which made me completely nervous at the same time. I wasn't sure what to expect, but my whole body was catching on fire from the thought of being alone with her.

I guess this was the perfect time to confess my feelings to her and tell her everything that I've been keeping inside for the last three years. I was nervous but I knew that she had to know before, whatever we were, goes any further.

When they left, Adeline stood outside and waved at her daughter as they drove away. I looked over at her as she turned around then made eye contact with me, which I saw a smile form on her face before she started walking towards me.

I followed her inside afterwards, with my heart racing out of my chest, and I couldn't stop thinking about what I was going to say to her.

"So, is there anything you want to do?" She asks as she turns around to face me. I saw her cross her arms, which made the room hotter than it was, but all I did was shake my head in response.

"Not that I know of." I said, making her smile.

She nods. "We'll figure something out." She turns around to walk into the kitchen, and I let out a breath that I didn't realize I was holding.

I walked into the living room to grab my phone, which was on the table near the couch. I looked at it and was about to turn around but stopped when I noticed a text message.

It was from a number that I didn't recognize, and it wasn't saved into my phone as a contact.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I opened the text, read it, then felt my heart drop in my stomach. I stared at it for a moment, trying to figure out if I was seeing it correctly or if I was hallucinating.

The text read: CALL ME ASAP

It didn't have anything else written with it. I didn't even know who the hell it was because they didn't say their name. I knew it couldn't be my aunt since she was in jail, which makes me more confused.

As I stared at it for a moment, I deleted the text then blocked the number. I placed my phone in my pocket and started walking out of the living room before Adeline walked in, making me jump back.