Chapter Twenty-Nine

I couldn't sleep that night.

I tossed and turned, thinking about that text I received, and not once closed my eyes. I was scared, and I didn't know what to do.

The text that came through was something I never thought I'd see. I didn't know who it was, but they knew me. They knew where I was at, and who I was with.

They knew about me and Adeline, which scared me more than anything.

In the text, they told me that they knew about me and my teacher. They said they would go to the police and tell them what they saw, and proceeded to say that they had pictures of us.

Which, I'm not sure is true or not. The thought alone scares me more than anything, and I didn't know what to do. I wanted to tell Adeline, but I was scared to tell her. I knew I had to tell her, so I decided to wait until the next morning.

Since I didn't sleep at all that night, I was wide awake when Adeline got up. I walked to the kitchen when she was in there, and when she saw me, she was shocked that I was awake.

"What are you doing up so early?" She smiled, but the way I was looking at her, her smile dropped instantly. "What's wrong?"

With a shaky hand, I showed her the text. I saw her eyes stay glued to my phone as she read the text, then her eyes went back to mine. I could see that she was now scared, and she stopped what she was doing before grabbing my phone.

"When did you get this?"

"Not long after we were outside yesterday." I saw her read the text again, then handed me the phone.

She looked at me for a moment before looking away. "Do you think it was that car?"

"I'm not sure who it is." I spoke. "It could be anyone." I thought about my aunt's friends, then I thought about Miss Allison. I knew she didn't have my number, but she could have got it from somewhere.

My mind was all over the place at this point.

Adeline was now worried, and she was sitting at the table with coffee in her hands. She was staring at her laptop that was in front of her, but she wasn't doing anything on it.

We sat there in silence for a while, neither one of us talking. We were trying to figure everything out because we were both scared at this point. I could tell that Adeline was overthinking everything, but I left the kitchen to give her space because I didn't want to do something to upset her more.

We should have been more careful, and I thought we were being careful. But it seems as though someone has been stalking us. I wasn't sure the reason, but I needed to figure this out.

I couldn't show the police the texts, because that would come back around on us. I needed to do this alone, and without Adeline finding out.

If I remember, I do know where some of my aunt's drug dealers stay at. I faintly remember, but I can always drive around and figure it out. I was always paying attention when we would go somewhere, because I knew someday it would come in handy.

But I needed a car.

As I sat down on the couch, I looked down at my phone. I went to the text and stared at it, trying to figure something out. I stared at the text before hearing footsteps in the living room, which made me look over to see Adeline walking in.

When she sat down next to me, I stared at her as she looked over at me. "We need to be more careful, Holly. I think we shouldn't be around each other in public. We need to stay inside if we want to be near each other. Since it's Spring Break, I'm not worried about school right now. But we need to be more careful in school too. I'm not sure who this is, but since they know... it's best to be cautious."

"I understand." I saw her smile before reaching over and grabbing my hand. She held it before moving it towards her and kissing the back of it. I smiled as her eyes locked into mine, then she released my hand.

After she left the living room, I heard Ella walk in afterwards. I saw her smile as she rubbed her eyes. She yawned before sitting on the couch, then leaned her head back against the couch.

"Good morning." I smiled at her, making her look at me.

"I'm tired." She spoke, making me chuckle.

"Why are you up so early?" I ask, watching as she shrugs. I saw her lean up and grab the tv remote, then turned the tv on. I leaned back and watched tv with her, enjoying her company and forgetting everything else.

-

As the day went on, I laid up on the couch with Ella as we watched tv. We didn't go outside to play ball or anything because it was a lazy day, which I didn't mind at all. I enjoyed it because it gave me time to figure things out.

But laying on the couch had me sleepy. I didn't get any sleep last night, so as I was laying here with Ella, I felt myself trying to fall asleep. I tried staying awake, but it was hard to do.

Until I heard Adeline's voice, which made me wake up. I saw her walk into the living room before stopping. She looked at us, and I looked down at Ella as she was sleeping in my arms. She was in front of me on the edge of the couch as I was behind her with my arm around her.

"She really loves you." Adeline smiled. "I'm about to call the police." She whispered.

"Why?"

"To get them over here so we can tell them."

I stared at her for a moment before furrowing my eyebrows. "Adeline, they're going to ask to see the text. They can't know we're... kinda seeing each other." I whispered.

She sighed. "I don't know what else to do."

"Don't worry about it."

"Holly... these people are going to say something to someone. They have pictures." She whispered.

I shook my head before moving Ella out of my arms and getting up. I tried not waking her up, and as I stood up, I motioned for Adeline to follow me out of the living room.

"I don't think they have pictures. I think they're threatening me." I turned towards Adeline as she was watching me.

"How are you so sure?"

"If it's my aunt's friends, they're not very bright. I've been around them long enough to know." I shrugged, making her cross her arms.

Once she sighs, I saw her shake her head. "I don't know, Holly. I'm scared. For me and for your safety." I saw her stare at me, which made me smile.

"We'll figure something out." I said, making her relax a little before stepping towards me. She cups my face and brings our lips together before kissing me, which made me grab her hips and pull her closer to me. I couldn't get enough of her, honestly, and she was like a drug to me.

"I love you." She breathed out once she pulls away. "I hope you know that."

"I love you too." I smiled, making her stare at me before smiling. "I've... always loved you." I sighed as she continued to look at me. "Ever since I met you... I was crazy about you." I spoke gently as she was watching me. "I couldn't stop myself from falling for you. You were, and still are, perfect in my eyes, Adeline."

That made her smile as she kissed me again, bringing us closer together. I smiled against her lips as we continued to kiss, which made her hold me tighter against her.

After a moment, we pulled away from each other, which was just in time as Ella had walked in. I saw her rub her eyes before walking towards her mom. I saw her talk to her about something as I stepped out of the kitchen.

As I held my phone in my hands, I had to come up with a plan. I knew that I couldn't take Adeline's car, and there was no way in hell that she would drive me where I wanted to go.

But as I thought about it, I knew someone that wouldn't mind taking me anywhere I wanted to go. I just needed to ask her, and hopefully she'll agree.