Chapter Ten

The next few days were the same.

I went to school, admired Miss Adeline then walked home to hell. I repeat the same cycle ever day, and it never changes.

My aunt beats me when she feels like it when I do something wrong in her eyes. I lay in bed afterwards and cry myself to sleep, wishing I could be asleep forever and never have to wake up to this hell.

Every day, I try to act like everything is fine. I put on a fake smile to trick Miss Adeline into thinking my life is great, then went home and cried until I couldn't breathe.

Same routine for the last five years.

My aunt was never abusive towards me when my mom was alive. I lived with my mom, and my dad came around with my aunt every once in a while, to give child support money or whatever, but I was happy then.

My life had meaning when I didn't have my aunt raising me, or whatever you want to call what she does to me. I knew that raising me or taking care of me wasn't the answer I was looking for because that's the opposite of what she does.

She makes me want to die every day.

But she doesn't care.

Of course, when I told my dad at one point, he didn't believe me. He told me to show proof and show him, but when I showed him all the proof he needed, including my bruises and everything else she does to me, he shrugged it off and said I was lying.

My dad wasn't my biggest supporter in life. I didn't care much for him because he was never around. I cared more about my mom than anyone in the world, but she was taken from me for overdosing on drugs.

Now, my mom wasn't a drug addict. She had pain pills that she was subscribed to and she took them like she was supposed to.

But, when someone has constant pain and starts relying on medicine to help them, things get a little bad... quick.

My mom bought pills from people when she didn't have any. She paid people, took pills and was never satisfied. She ended up overdosing on them and died afterwards.

Not once do I blame my mom for what she did. I knew she was in pain, but it hurts knowing she did that when she should be here taking care of me.

Now, I'm living in hell.

Constant... hell.

As I walked home from school, I took my usual route and fed the dogs. I gave them attention before walking home, knowing that I would probably go to bed and sleep. I didn't want to interact with anyone because I was physically drained.

Today in Miss Adeline's class, she was staring at me a lot. I caught her several times, and she looked away every time I caught her. I saw her in the corner of my eye stealing glances at me, and it made me wonder what was going through her head.

I already knew she was getting suspicious about what was going on in my life. I had to start being more careful because she's going to find out one day, and I'm not sure if that would relieve me or scare me.

My aunt has threatened me numerous times about people finding out. She said that her people would find me and do whatever to me if I told anyone.

That's what scared me the most about Miss Adeline finding out.

When I walked up my driveway, I looked over and saw Ella getting out of a car. I saw a man get out of the driver side as he walked towards the house, then leaned in front of his car as Miss Adeline walked out.

It was her ex-husband, which is Ella and Kyra's dad. I've seen him a few times but never actually met him. He wasn't a bad looking guy, and he treats them well for not being with their mom anymore.

When I walked inside, I sighed as I shut the door behind me and walked to my room. I didn't see my aunt anywhere as I changed into more comfortable clothes then sat on my bed for a while.

The bedroom window was cracked from when I opened it that one night. I got up to close it but heard noises outside, so I opened it more to listen. I peeked my head out before looking over at the driveway that Ella was in, and she was playing basketball with her dad.

I smiled as I sat there and watched them, wishing my life was that simple and happy.

As I kept watching them, I saw Miss Adeline come into view as she was watching them. She had her arms crossed, walking down the driveway, then she stopped, and I felt my heart when she looked in my direction and saw me.

In that moment, I felt my whole-body freeze as she stared at me. Even from this distance, I knew she was curious as to why I was watching them from my bedroom window.

I moved back then shut my window and closed the curtains before standing there, feeling embarrassed. I walked to my bed and sat down again, trying to get the image of her out of my head.

After a moment of sitting there, I heard a car door shut. I got up and walked out of my room in time for my aunt to walk through the front door. I saw her look over at me as we made eye contact, but I walked to the kitchen without saying a word.

"I brought food." She said as she placed a bag down. I saw that it was from McDonalds, but I shook my head before looking in the fridge. "You're not going to eat?"

"I don't want that."

"Why not?"

I grabbed some eggs out, which made her stare at me the whole time as I was walking to the stove. I started cooking eggs as my aunt grabbed the bag harshly before walking out of the kitchen.

After I was done cooking, I sat at the table and ate. I finished then washed my dishes before hearing a knock at the front door. I walked out of the kitchen as my aunt was walking to the door, and before I could walk to my room, I heard a voice that made me stop.

"What now?" My aunt asks.

Miss Adeline's voice came through after a moment as I was standing at the corner. "I was wondering if Holly would like to come join us for dinner."

"She already ate, thanks though."

"Ella wants her over to play." She told my aunt.

My aunt sighs. "She's busy." She said, and I watch as she shuts the door. I saw her turn around and look at me before seeing her face completely go dark. "I knew it."

"What?"

"What?" She questioned as she walked towards me. "That woman just came over asking if you wanted to go eat with them then tried getting you over there. I knew that you told her!" She said, then slapped me across the face.

"I didn't tell her!" I said as I held my cheek, staring at her.

She grabbed my wrist then pushed me into the wall, making my back hit hard. I winced then saw her lean closer to me before leaning back and punching me in the stomach.

I bent down, held my stomach then groaned. She grabbed my hair and pulled me down the hallway as I was fighting for her to let go.

When she tossed me in the room, I crawled towards my bed before turning towards her. I could see her walk towards me then she grabbed her belt and pulled it out of her jeans.

This time, I shut my eyes and didn't fight back. I fought through the pain and tears as my aunt continually beat me until my body was numb.

After she left, I crawled into bed once more and laid there. I touched my arms and stomach, wincing at the pain. I wiped my eyes and stared at the ceiling before feeling a breaking in my heart as I fell asleep.