Chapter Twenty-Three

Adeline's POV

"Make sure everyone does the assignment. A lot of you are falling behind. It's almost the end of the year, so the final exam is coming up. I expect everyone to pass." I looked around the room, then the bell rung.

As everyone was leaving, I smiled as I watched my students walk out of the room. I had one more class, then it was time to go home.

I could already feel headache coming on, and I was ready to take a bath with a glass of wine in my hands. I didn't have Ella this afternoon, so I need some time alone.

Besides Holly staying there, but she's not a bother. I enjoy her company, and thinking about her makes me smile.

I always think to myself about all of this and wonder if it's even right. I'm a teacher and I have feelings for my student, and thinking about it makes me seem a little insane.

But sometimes I don't care about being wrong about this. I like Holly a lot, more like love her, and I wasn't about to step away from this. I knew that, as her teacher, I could get in trouble, but as long as nobody knew, then there was nothing to worry about.

Plus, it's not as if we're dating or sleeping together. I wouldn't put Holly in a situation that she's uncomfortable with, and if what we have blossoms into something more, then I'll wait until she graduates to move any further.

Thinking about this in my head seems a little absurd to say the least. I feel like I'm doing something wrong just by thinking about being with Holly.

I shook my head as the other class had arrived, which made me smile as I stood up from my desk. I glanced over at the door, waiting for Holly, but she hasn't arrived yet.

As I began teaching, my eyes never stopped glancing at the door. I was waiting patiently for her, but she was already ten minutes late, which made me worry. I kept my mind occupied as I kept teaching, making sure the students knew the assignment.

After another few minutes, the door opened and when I looked over, I saw Holly walk in. I felt a smile on my face as she looked over at me, then she smiled also before tossing her bag onto the floor and sitting in her usual spot.

As class went on, I sat down and wrote a little note on a sticky note. I slid it to Holly, watched as she read it then began writing something on it as well. I saw her slide it back to me, and I read it.

Got held up in class – she wrote.

That made me smile as I wrote something else on it, then slid it back to her.

I was just worried – I wrote.

She smiled then our eyes met. I saw her nod before crumpling up the paper and tossing it in the trash bin. I continued to grade papers as she was sitting next to me, which made me glance over at her every few seconds.

As time went on, the bell finally rung. I told the class to be ready for the final exam that was coming up as they were walking out of the door. I smiled at them as they all walked out of the room, then I turned back towards the desk and packed all my stuff up.

When I looked over at Holly, she was standing there, zoned out. I furrowed my eyebrows before walking to her and standing in front of her. I grabbed her arms, making her look up at me, and I saw her softly smile.

"What's wrong?"

"Just tired." She spoke, but I knew something else was wrong. I didn't want to push her into telling me what was wrong, because I knew she would tell me eventually.

I pulled her into a hug, holding the back of her head against my chest. I smiled as she wrapped her arms around me, and I felt her breathe out as I held her close.