Chapter Eight

The next day, I had gone to school as usual.

I dreaded the end of the day, knowing I would see Miss Adeline. I wasn't sure if she would say anything about yesterday, but my heart was pounding in my chest as I thought about it.

The pain in my stomach was almost completely gone by now. I could tolerate it at this point. I saw the bruises this morning, and they weren't gone away. The open wounds were healing, but it was slowly.

When last period rolled around, I slowly made my way down the hallway. I saw the door come into view as my ears were ringing from my heart pounding.

Once I walked in the classroom, I instantly saw Miss Adeline sitting at her desk. She looked over and saw me, giving me a smile that made me melt as usual. I walked to the chair near her desk and sat down.

The bell rung, which she started teaching afterwards. I sat there, doing my homework and trying to focus but was failing to do so when all I could hear was her voice.

When she sat back down at her desk, I glanced over at her before looking back at my book. I leaned up a little, but ended up hitting my knee on the desk and I winced in pain.

That caught Miss Adeline's attention, which made her look over at her. I looked at her as well, then looked down at my book as I rubbed the spot on my knee.

It wasn't the pain from my knee, but the pain from the bruise that I accidentally hit.

The pain eventually went away as class went on. I focused on my book, and nothing else until the bell finally rung.

As everyone else had left the room, I stood up and slung my bag over my shoulder. I saw Miss Adeline sitting in her chair, then she looked up at me. "Are you ok?" She said, making me furrow my eyebrows.

"Yeah?" I question.

"You hit your knee earlier, and it looked like you were in pain."

"Oh," I sighed. "yeah, I'm fine."

She nods as she looks me up and down, making my body shut down for a moment. I saw her turn in her chair, facing towards me as she kept looking at me. "Can you raise your pants?"

"Huh?" I said, making my heart stop in place.

"I want to see the mark on your knee. Make sure it's ok." She said, never breaking eye contact with me.

In that moment, I felt like I was about to pass out. I wasn't sure if she was actually wanting to see my knee or wanting to see the bruises that she saw yesterday.

"It's fine now."

"Holly, let me see."

I shook my head, making her stare at me. I swallowed the lump in my throat and noticed how hot it was getting in this room, which made me take a step back.

As I did so, she leaned over and grabbed my pants near the knee area. I stared down at her as she was pulling me towards her, making me pull myself backwards at the same time.

"Holly,"

"No." I said, making her release me as I stepped back. I saw the look on her face as she sat there for a moment then sighed once she turned back towards her desk.

The silence between us fell as she grabbed her things and stood up from her desk. I walked to the door as she was behind me, but I didn't look back once I walked out into the hall.

When I walked outside, I glanced back and saw Miss Adeline walking out the door. She looked at me but said nothing as she walked down the stairs and went the opposite direction from me.