Picture In Flames

CHARLES

The last photo of her went up in flames as Max burned it over the stove and I felt a little better. She had never meant anything to me. We were friendly but not friends and romantic in public but not in a relationship. She was just an acquaintance. Why was I so sad about her leaving?

"Okay," He said, "Now all we need is sage to cleanse this house of her nasty demon vibes." I snorted which earned a laugh from him. "But we seriously do need something that smells good cause this house smells like shit."
"Shut up." I said, rolling my eyes.

"Make me."
"Okay." I said, grabbing the duct tape from my kitchen drawer and taping it over his mouth as he watched, completely still with a smile on his face, "I made a promise about the role of the duct tape in my kitchen drawer and I'm a man of my word," I said, smiling sweetly as he let out a muffled 'fuck you' which sounded more like 'hef few'. I pressed down the tape around the corners of his mouth and smiled for a second before he ripped it off, cursing at the pain.

That night was the first time I'd been able to sleep comfortably in my house in a year. It felt safe again. I don't know why or how but it didn't feel cold anymore.