Saudi Arabian grand Prix

MAX

This was the first podium I shared with Charles since we were friends but we sprayed each other with champagne as if we were the worst of enemies.

The liquid trickled down my back when he put it under my shirt collar, making me squirm with discomfort as I turned around, gripping him by the shirt and blasting him in his laughing face. He brought his bottle over the two of us, making it rain champagne momentarily and I laughed, giddy with joy.

Usually, I would be beating myself up about something or the other that my father would lecture me on without fail, but today I just laughed as the champagne poured down on us.

My father, much as I wish he wouldn't, did lecture me. There was no afterparty for that race because Carlos was in hospital, but right before Charles and I were going to see him, my father pulled me aside.

My past teammate would have to wait another day.

When my father was finally done ranting about my every mistake, I didn't feel like doing anything anymore. I just wanted to call Charles and ask for a repeat of Wine and Brooklyn Nine Nine.

I left Saudi the next day, but just as I was in the airport, I got a call from Charles, "Hey," He said, "I missed my flight."

This flight went much better than the first. The alcohol flowed and so did the conversation as we talked about the most random of things. When we finally landed, we were still a little intoxicated. Charles gave the cab driver his address. Apparently we were going to his house. I called for McDonalds on the way, getting copious amounts of fries and chicken nuggets delivered to his house and we reached at the same time as the delivery guy.

I thanked him as we stumbled inside, already reaching for the food.

When I woke up I was in bed, wearing nothing but my boxers, and Charles was half on the bed, half on the floor, his hopefully clothed lower half covered in blankets. I didn't wake him up, instead deciding to repay his badly made coffee and pancakes favour.

He woke up with a loud groan from the next room and appeared outside in nothing but his boxers, walking over and taking the coffee from me, before sighing with closed eyes. We weren't too hungover after consuming so much food last night, but my head still had a light ache as I drank my sugary goodness.