the book

neutral perspective

The first page didn't contain much of value, it was just an introduction to the two characters, the Subject and the Patient. 

The subject was paid to test Sterelax, which was the drug initially used to control our minds. But this subject had no reaction. Subject was only doing the tests to afford the treatment for his cousin, the Patient. The patient was also pregnant. 

Subject was allowed to roam free about the hospital, which was the one that the Killjoys were staying in. When one of the doctors left a paper in their room that suggested that Better Living had ulterior motives, he decided to put his freedom to use. He explored the hospital, especially places he wasn't supposed to be. 

At one point, he looked into the room where they kept patient files, and while rummaging through, he found some files for a previous Sterelax patient. 

Studies showed that music could break the trance-like state that was induced by the drug. So this was why he hadn't shown symptoms- because he listened to music all the time. 

"Cyber, do they still use the drug?" Mikey asked. 

"Yes, for draculoids. And for people who are particularly defiant," she said. "Sometimes they gas the city streets with it." 

After she said that, it was fascinating how quickly the plan fell into place.

Poison immediately began talking, his instant attentiveness almost startling. "We break their gas systems. Cyber, you're good with tech, right?" Poison asked. 

She nodded. 

"Can you hack into their cameras?" he asked. 

She nodded again, a wry smirk slipping its way onto her face. 

"You hack into the cameras first, and- do you guys have gas masks?" he asked Billie. 

"Yeah, this shithole used to be a BLInd emergency bunker that they never used, so we've got, like, six," Billie explained. 

Poison flashed him a thumbs-up. "Okay, we can wear those in case we get gassed while we break the gassing system. We'll figure out how it works later. Then after it gets destroyed, Mikey puts on some music and Cyber, you figure out how to broadcast it to everyone in the city. After everyone gets un-mind controlled, we broadcast ourselves to them. I can work on a script. We can play the rest by ear. Mikey, you're the map boy, do you have one of the city?" Poison asked. 

Mikey rolled his eyes and flipped him off, but he reached into his bag and pulled out a piece of paper. 

They spread it on the coffee table and Poison took another flip through the book. 

There. On one of the last few pages, he noticed one entry that stuck out to him. 

His eyes widened and he looked at Jet.