01. Award function

Inaya sat at her sleek mahogany desk, her eyes glued to the laptop screen as she reviewed the latest financial reports

Inaya sat at her sleek mahogany desk, her eyes glued to the laptop screen as she reviewed the latest financial reports. The quiet hum of the office and the occasional ring of a phone created a focused atmosphere. She was deep in concentration when the door to her office burst open.

“Bitch, why are you not picking up my calls?” Meher's voice rang out, dripping with dramatic flair.

Inaya looked up, startled for a moment before a smile spread across her face. Meher stood in the doorway, hands on her hips, her expression a mix of exasperation and playful annoyance.

“Meher!” Inaya exclaimed, pushing her chair back and rushing over to her best friend. She wrapped her arms around Meher in a warm hug. “I’m so sorry. I’ve been swamped with work and completely lost track of time.”

Meher pulled back slightly, her eyes narrowing. “You could have at least texted me back. I was starting to think you’d been kidnapped by one of your many business rivals.”

Inaya laughed, shaking her head. “I know, I know. I’ve been a terrible friend. But I promise, I’ll make it up to you.”Meher raised an eyebrow, her dramatic tone returning. “If you really want to apologize, then you can start by taking me out to lunch. I’m starving, and you owe me.”

Inaya grinned, nodding. “Deal. Let me just wrap up here and we can go.”

After a few quick keystrokes and closing her laptop, Inaya grabbed her bag and linked her arm through Meher’s. “Ready?”

“Always,” Meher replied with a wink.The two of them made their way to a nearby restaurant, one of their favorite spots. They were quickly seated at a cozy corner table, the ambiance relaxed and welcoming. The waiter brought over menus, but Meher waved him off.“We’ll have the usual,” she said confidently.

Inaya smiled, grateful for Meher’s predictability. She leaned back in her chair, feeling the stress of the day begin to melt away. “So, what’s been going on? Catch me up on everything I’ve missed.”

Inaya and Meher sat at their favorite corner table in the cozy restaurant, the aroma of freshly cooked food wafting around them. They laughed and chatted, catching up on the latest happenings in each other’s lives. As the waiter cleared their plates and brought their desserts, Inaya's expression grew more serious.

“Meher, there’s something I’ve been meaning to talk to you about,” Inaya began, her fingers lightly tracing the edge of her coffee cup. “The annual business awards function is coming up.”

“I’ve been working so hard this past year, putting everything I have into the company. I really want to win that title. It’s not just about the recognition; it’s about proving to myself that all the effort has been worth it.”

Meher reached across the table and placed a reassuring hand on Inaya’s. “Inaya, you’ve already proven that. Look at what you’ve accomplished! Your company is thriving because of your leadership. You’ve made a name for yourself in a male-dominated industry. That’s huge.”