― 01

[ 🪩 ]
| ❛ C H A P T E R . I ❜ |

The door to my room creaked open, casting my father's shadow across the floor

"Iris," he began, his voice a mix of authority and feigned affection. "You need to get ready for school. Your brother is already getting ready."

I nodded, suppressing the urge to roll my eyes. Of course I knew I needed to get ready for school; it's been my routine for as long as I can remember.

Forcing a smile, I replied, "Of course, Father."

His eyes lingered for a moment, scanning my room as if searching for something out of place. Satisfied with his inspection, he turned and left, his footsteps echoing down the hall.

As soon as he was out of earshot, I exhaled, my shoulders relaxing slightly. I dressed quickly, my mind racing through the day's schedule.

Downstairs, Sebastian and Erik were already seated at the kitchen table, the usual assortment of breakfast laid out before them by the housekeeper.

Sebastian looked up as I entered, smiling widely. Erik was stirring his oatmeal, his sketchbook peeking out of his backpack.

"Morning," I said, sliding into my chair.

"Morning, Sis," Sebastian replied, offering another smile. Erik nodded, too engaged in his thoughts to respond verbally.

We ate in silence, the only sounds the clicking of utensils against plates and the workers moving around the house.

Sebastian stood up from his seat, grabbing his coat and bag. "I'm heading out to run some errands with father. I'll see you guys later," he said. He kissed my cheek and patted Erik's shoulder before leaving.

⋅˚₊‧ ★ ‧₊˚ ⋅

The ride to school was uneventful, Erik and I cracking jokes with Luke, our driver.

As we arrived, I felt a familiar mix of relief and anxiety. School was an escape, but it was also a reminder of the reputation I had to maintain.

As Luke parked the car at the school's entrance, I noticed Lydia Beaufort stepping out of her car as well.

I caught Lydia Beaufort staring at me. Ignoring her, I walked inside the school with Erik.

I wasn't sure whether me and her brother hated each other or not, I disliked him for his arrogance, his habit of showing off his family's wealth and influence as if it made him superior to everyone else.

Our encounters were usually tense, but despite my dislike for him, I refused to engage in the petty games he seemed so fond of playing. I preferred to focus my energy on more meaningful things.

Once inside, I spotted my friends, Ruby and Lin, waiting for me.

"Did you turn it in?" I asked Ruby about her recommendation letter.

"Just now," she smiled.

"I wish I asked Mr. Sutton for a recommendation letter too," Lin added, putting her arms around us both.

"He's the coolest. Ms. Campbell is at least as good," Ruby replied.

"Wasn't she top of the year at Oxford?" I asked.

"Yeah, in 1890," Lin joked.

Lin used to be a part of 'My' world until her parents lost their jobs and divorced. How did she endure it? We had no idea.

⋅˚₊‧ ★ ‧₊˚ ⋅

"That's what my internet research revealed. But the works on the theory of justice that you recommend to us best reflect the foundation of The Metaphysics of Morals and The Critique of Practical Reason." A student spoke.

"Thank you, Yes, exactly." Replied Mr. Sutton, his eyes brightened with approval.

"And that's why I always say, this here...this is your grandparents Google." He finished, holding up an old, weathered book for emphasis.

"Back to Kant, Mr. Smith what do you think?" Mr. Sutton asked, turning to another student.

"Kant just says, 'do unto others as you would have them do unto you' " the student replied confidently.

A small laugh rippled through the classroom. "That's the Bible, not Kant" Lydia's friend chimed in, earning a few nods of agreement from a few classmates.

"Maybe Kant's categorical imperative tries to tell us that we should ignore consequence of our actions, if it feels right." Lydia added thoughtfully.

I looked over at her before speaking, "Reason was at the core of Kant's philosophy. Not feelings."

"Then maybe Kant is less relevant than we think, human are able to reason but usually act based on their feelings." she remarked, prompting a raised eyebrow from the professor.

I glanced at Ruby, anticipating her response to Lydia's perspective.

"That's why it's so interesting, that we could decide differently is what defines moral fortitude." Said Ruby, her voice firm.

"Yes!" The teacher interjected, clapping his hands lightly. "Well said"

⌗ !! ꒰ 01 ꒱ 🪩