― 15

[ 🪩 ]
| ❛ C H A P T E R . XV ❜ |

We had been trying to catch all the partridges that accidentally got delivered to the school for hours

We had been trying to catch all the partridges that accidentally got delivered to the school for hours. James and I were searching a classroom, but so far, there was no sign of any of the elusive birds.

"They're really fast for having such small feet," I sighed, brushing a stray lock of hair out of my face.

James chuckled as he rummaged through an upper shelf. "Just like you. Maybe that's why your parents gave you that middle name," he said, glancing up at me with a mischievous grin.

"What?" I asked, shocked and trying not to laugh.

"I told you I'd find out," he teased, looking far too pleased with himself.

I rolled my eyes but couldn't help smiling. "I don't know what you have against 'Jane.' It means graceful, just like you," he added, his tone sincere.

I pretended I didn't hear him, focusing back on the task at hand. "Do you see it anywhere?" I asked, scanning the room.

"Nope." He quickly replied, shaking his head.

I sighed deeply, feeling the exhaustion of our search. "Break?" I suggested, looking at him hopefully.

"Break," he agreed, and we both sat on-top of the teacher's desk.

The room was quiet.We sat there for a moment, stealing glances at each other.

Now there was a palpable tension in the air.

"Thank you for the bracelet," I finally said, breaking the silence. My voice was soft, almost hesitant.

James looked at me, a teasing smile playing on his lips. "The bracelet is beautiful..." I added, glancing down at my wrist where the delicate piece of Cartier jewelry shimmered.

"I'm glad you like it," he replied, his voice low and warm. "It suits you."

I felt my cheeks flush at his compliment. "I never thanked you for it, despite you using it to try and bribe me, you know."

"Who said it was a bribe?" he teased, leaning in a little closer. "Maybe I just wanted to see you smile."

I couldn't help but smile at that, feeling a flutter in my stomach. "Well, it worked," I admitted, meeting his gaze.

James's eyes sparkled with amusement. "I have my ways."

"Oh, do you now?" I said, raising an eyebrow playfully.

He leaned in even closer, his voice dropping to a conspiratorial whisper. "Absolutely. And I have a few more tricks up my sleeve."

I laughed softly, the sound breaking the tension slightly. "You're full of surprises, aren't you?"

"You have no idea," he replied, his eyes locked onto mine.

For a moment, we just sat there, the world outside forgotten. His hand moved slightly, brushing against mine, and I felt a jolt of electricity at the contact.

I took a deep breath, deciding to push the conversation in a more playful direction. "So, are you going to tell me your middle name, or do I have to stalk you too?"

He chuckled, the sound low and warm. "M stands for Mortimer, like my father," he finally admitted, his gaze not meeting mine.

"Mortimer?" I repeated, raising an eyebrow. "That's... unique."

He laughed, a little self-consciously. "Yeah, it's a bit old-fashioned."

I heard him sigh deeply, the weight of his words hanging in the air. "I can't come tonight," James began, and I already knew what he was referring to.

"We're launching our new line," he continued, a hint of frustration in his voice, "and Dad wants me to meet the PR officer."

He paused, clearly not happy with the situation. "I'm sorry," he finished, his voice softer, almost regretful.

I tried to hide my disappointment, forcing a smile. "It's okay, James. I understand."

He looked at me, his eyes filled with a mixture of guilt and determination. "No, it's not okay. I wanted to be there with you."

I reached out and squeezed his hand. "I'm sure it'll be exciting."

He smiled, a genuine one this time, and the tension in his shoulders eased a little. "I just want to get it over with"

James's voice was heavy with frustration as he spoke, "I don't want to go to the press conference or take over Beaufort. I don't think I even want to go to Oxford."

Surprised by his confession, I leaned closer, my curiosity piqued. "And what do you want?" I asked, offering him a soft, encouraging smile.

He held my gaze, searching my eyes as if looking for answers. Finally, he chuckled, a bittersweet sound that made me feel butterflies in my stomach. "I don't know," he admitted, shaking his head slightly.

I reached out, placing a comforting hand on his arm. "It's okay not to know, James. You don't have to have everything figured out right now."

He sighed deeply, his shoulders relaxing a bit. "Everyone expects so much from me. It's like my entire future is already planned out, and I never got a say in it."

I sat in front of Mr

I sat in front of Mr. Lexington in his office, his stern expression didn't leave his face as he began.

"Just to be sure I understand, Miss Laurent," he said, his tone measured and deliberate. "First, he ruined the party, then you refused to work with him, and now you're asking me to shorten his penalty and allow him back on the lacrosse field?"

I took a deep breath, gathering my thoughts before responding. "James has contributed a lot to the donor party, coming up with a theme and making it happen," I said, my voice steady but earnest. "Yes, he has definitely misbehaved in the past, but I prefer to judge people in the present."

Mr. Lexington's eyes narrowed slightly, but he remained silent, allowing me to continue.

"If this party is successful, we'll have him to thanks," I added, leaning forward slightly in my chair.

He leaned back in his chair, considering my words. The silence stretched out, making me increasingly anxious. I wondered if I had said enough, if I had made a strong enough case for James.

"Okay,"  Mr. Lexington finally said, his tone firm. "Remember not only James's penalty is at stake this evening, also your Miss Bell's letter"

"I understand," I nodded.

⌗ !! ꒰ 15 ꒱ 🪩