― 05

[ 🪩 ]
| ❛ C H A P T E R . V ❜ |

The game crackled with tension, the rivalry between the teams palpable even from a distance

The game crackled with tension, the rivalry between the teams palpable even from a distance. My brothers and I leaped to our feet, joining the chorus of cheers and shouts each time our team scored a point.

Suddenly, Alistair surged forward, hurling a player to the ground with brutal force. The impact echoed across the field, igniting chaos as players clashed in a flurry of fists and fury.

"Oh my god," I gasped, my heart pounding in my chest as I watched the brawl unfold before me. Glancing at my brothers, I saw mirrored expressions of shock and disbelief.

"I'll go get some water," Erik said, breaking the stunned silence.

"I'll go with you," Sebastian replied, already rising from his seat.

I nodded, silently grateful for their departure from the chaotic scene on the lacrosse court.

As Alistair stormed off toward the exit, his frustration evident in every stride, I turned my back to the field, seeking refuge in the distraction of Lin's photography.

"If you're looking for the field, it's behind you" Alistair's voice cut through the air, his tone tinged with sarcasm.

I couldn't help but grin at his remark. "Thanks," I quipped, shooting him a playful glance over my shoulder.  "But I just came for the wrestling"

Alistair's annoyance softened into a wry smile. "I wanted to give McCormack a few more, but the referee was too quick," he admitted, his frustration visible.

"East view might have a chance if she joined them" I teased, attempting to lighten the mood with a playful jab.

To my relief, Alistair chuckled in response, the tension between us momentarily dissipating.

"We should talk more often, Iris" he suggested, extending his hand.

"Absolutely," I agreed, reaching out to shake his hand with a genuine smile.

"I can tell you're a die-hard lacrosse fan," Alistair joked, his eyes twinkling with amusement.

"Oh, absolutely," I shot back with a playful smirk. "I've been coming to all the games. Haven't you noticed?"

"I'm always a little busy out there," he pointed out, his grin widening.

"Busy beating up the opposition?" I laughed, teasing him about his aggressive playstyle.

Before he could respond, Headmaster Lexington appeared, his presence commanding as always. "Iris, shall we take a photo?" he asked politely.

"Of course, sir," I replied with a smile, waving goodbye to Alistair. "See you around," I added, leaving him with a nod as I walked over to join the headmaster.

⋅˚₊‧ ★ ‧₊˚ ⋅

As we posed for the photo, I noticed Ruby approaching Headmaster Lexington, her eyes hopeful. "Headmaster, would you consider writing me a recommendation letter as well?" she asked, her voice steady but nervous.

Lexington told her and asked her a few things before giving his final answer. "If everything goes well, I'll consider it, Miss Bell," he replied with a thoughtful nod.

"If anything goes wrong," I interjected confidently, "which it won't, I'll take full responsibility, sir."

Ruby and Lin looked at me with wide eyes, clearly surprised by my bold declaration. I gave them a reassuring smile, determined to back up my friends no matter what.

Suddenly, a loud cheer erupted from the field. I turned to see our team celebrating an emphatic victory, their joy contagious. The tension and uncertainty from earlier melted away in the wave of excitement.

"If you'll excuse me, Headmaster, I need to find my brothers," I said, excusing myself as I rose from my seat.

As I walked away, lost in the post-game excitement, I collided with someone's hard chest. "I'm so—" I began, but my words caught in my throat as I looked up to see who it was.

James.

His eyes bored into mine, a mixture of intensity and frustration. "What did you want with Alistair?" he demanded, his voice low and threatening.

"Nothing," I replied truthfully, my heart racing.

"Stay away from him," he warned, his tone leaving no room for argument. Before I could respond, his teammates swooped in, hoisting him onto their shoulders, their victorious shouts filling the air.

Despite the celebration, James's eyes never left mine, a smirk playing at his lips as he was carried away.

I turned to see my brothers approaching. Erik and Sebastian's concerned expressions quickly shifted to relief when they saw me.

"There you are," Erik said, his tone a mixture of worry and annoyance. "We've been looking for you."

"Everything okay?" Sebastian asked, eyeing the direction where James had just been.

"Yeah, just a run-in with James," I replied, trying to sound casual. "Nothing I can't handle."

Erik frowned. "James Beaufort? What did he want this time?"

"Nothing important," I lied, not wanting to escalate the situation. "Just the usual."

Sebastian's gaze hardened. "If he's bothering you, we can—"

"No, it's fine," I cut in, forcing a smile. "Really, it's fine."

They exchanged a look but let it drop for now. The last thing I needed was my brothers getting involved and making things worse.

"Did you see the end of the game?" I asked, trying to change the subject. "We won!"

Their faces lit up at the mention of the victory. "Yeah, it was awesome!" Erik said. "I can't believe Alistair threw that guy like that."

"Yeah, it was intense," I agreed, grateful for the distraction.

⌗ !! ꒰ 05 ꒱ 🪩