― 02

[ 🪩 ]
| ❛ C H A P T E R . II ❜ |

I exited the classroom with Lin and Ruby

"The Welcome Party is already the day after tomorrow. I spent half the summer talking to electricians and temperamental caterers," Lin said, looking over at Ruby and me.

"And don't forget the DJs," I added, my eyes sparkling with mischief. "We need to book the sober one today."

"The things we do for our resumes," Lin sighed dramatically, rolling her eyes.

As we walked, Ruby trailed behind, her eyes fixed on her bucket list. "I forgot something," she muttered, almost to herself. "I have to go see Mr. Sutton."

"I'll come with you; I have a question about the homework," I offered, glancing back at Lin.

"Later!" Ruby called to Lin as we walked off towards the classroom. I waved, a soft smile playing on my lips as I caught Lin's eye.

⋅˚₊‧ ★ ‧₊˚ ⋅

We hurried through the bustling corridors, heading towards Mr. Sutton's class. Despite Ruby hanging out with me during school hours, she always felt invisible to everyone else, or at least that's what she believed.

As we reached the door to Mr. Sutton's classroom, Ruby moved to open it, but I stopped her with a gentle hand on her arm. "Ruby, you have to knock first," I reminded her.

She nodded, then knocked twice on the door. No answer. She knocked again, this time louder. Still no reply.

I could see Ruby's anxiety rising. Without warning, she pushed the door open and burst into the classroom.

My eyes opened widened at the sight in front of me. A woman.

None other than Lydia Beaufort, making out with Mr. Sutton. I looked over at Ruby, she looked petrified, making her drop all of her books.

I parted my lips to speak, but all I can manage is a dry cough.

"Ruby, Iris," Mr. Sutton gasped, his voice laced with surprise and something else—guilt, perhaps?

Ignoring him, I knelt beside Ruby, helping her gather the scattered pages. Her gaze was fixed on Mr. Sutton, wide-eyed and disbelieving, she's looking at him like he's alien, nothing like our teacher.

 Sutton, wide-eyed and disbelieving, she's looking at him like he's alien, nothing like our teacher

James led us into a dimly lit room, closing the door behind him.

"Robin, right?" he asked, his gaze flickering over to Ruby.

"Ruby," she corrected him, her voice steady.

"Right, I knew it was something with an R," he replied, not bothering to look at her. "You know who I am," he stated.

I watched the interaction from Ruby's side, sensing where this was heading.

"If you mean your name, yes," Ruby replied, meeting his gaze. "I'm Lydia's brother," he began.

"She's in your philosophy class," he said, pulling out some money from inside his suit pocket. Taking her hand, he placed the money in her palm. "I want you to take this and remember, what you saw in Sutton's office never happened," he said, his eyes fixed on Ruby as he handed her more cash.

"We won't go higher than $10,000," he stated. "Keep quiet until the year's end, and we'll double it."

"Wow," Ruby said, her annoyance palpable as she stared at the money in her hands. Anger surged within me at his audacity toward Ruby.

"You're a bigger asshole than I thought," I scoffed, watching Ruby slam the money onto his chest before turning to leave.

"Wait, wait, we're not done here," he glared at her.

Ruby seemed emboldened by his persistence, and as she finished giving him a piece of her mind, she dropped all the money to the floor. I smirked, proud of her for standing up for herself.

I was about to follow Ruby when suddenly, James grabbed hold of my hand.

"I still need to speak with you, Iris," he said, pulling me toward him.

"What is it that you want, James?" I replied, pulling my hand away from his.

"My sister told me you wouldn't be a problem, that you wouldn't tell anyone," he began. "But I still need to make sure you keep your pretty little mouth shut and your friend under control."

I scoffed at his condescending tone, my jaw clenching in frustration. "I don't need your money and you know it," I said firmly.

"Name something, I'll buy it for you," he persisted, his voice dripping with arrogance. "Anything."

"I don't need anything, especially not from you, James," I retorted, my tone unwavering.

With that, I turned on my heel and walked out of the room, leaving James standing there, his expression a mix of frustration and disbelief.

⌗ !! ꒰ 02 ꒱ 🪩