― 17

[ 🪩 ]
| ❛ C H A P T E R . XVII ❜ |

A sharp voice interrupted our moment

A sharp voice interrupted our moment. "So, this is what it looks like when you know what's expected of you," it echoed, followed by the harsh light of a flashlight.

James and I quickly broke our kiss. We turned to face the source of the interruption, finding James's father standing there, his face unreadable, eyes reflecting a blend of disappointment and frustration.

"If I were Headmaster Lexington, I wouldn't be pleased," he began,"One of the party organizers letting herself get distracted while chaos brews in the hall." The intensity of his gaze shifted between us, lingering longer on James, who squeezed my hand in silent reassurance.

"You should go take a look," James urged gently, his eyes locked on mine, concern etched in his voice.

I nodded, feeling the warmth of his touch slip away as I turned. "Okay," I murmured, my heart still racing. I took a few steps, then looked back, getting a small glimpse of James before stepping into the hall.

⋅˚₊‧ ★ ‧₊˚ ⋅

My footsteps echoed down the dimly lit corridor as I headed back to the hall. The sounds of laughter and chatter grew louder with each step, I needed to find my brothers and get out of here.

As I rounded a corner, I nearly collided with Ruby. Her eyes sparkled with excitement, and she was practically glowing.

"Iris!" she exclaimed, barely containing her joy. "Headmaster Lexington gave me the recommendation letter! Can you believe it?"

A mix of emotions swirled within me, but I managed a tight-lipped smile. "Congratulations, Ruby," I mumbled, trying to muster some enthusiasm. "That's really great."

"Thanks," she beamed, seemingly oblivious to my distraction. "I've been dreaming of this moment forever."

"Yeah, it's a big deal," I replied, my mind already shifting back to my brothers. "Listen, I need to find my brothers. Have you seen them?"

Ruby frowned slightly, sensing my urgency. "I think they were by the refreshment table last time I saw them."

"Thanks," I said, offering her a quick smile before hurrying off.

The hall was a frenzy of activity. Guests mingled, some dancing, others engaged in animated conversations.

I spotted my brothers near the refreshment table, just as Ruby had said. They were laughing and joking with a group of friends, completely oblivious to the people around them.

"Rik, Seb," I began, my voice low, "I'm not feeling great. Do you think we could leave?"

Erik raised an eyebrow, concern etching his features. "Are you okay, Iris? You look a bit pale."

Sebastian, always the more perceptive of the two, nodded in agreement. "Yeah, if you're not feeling well, we should get out of here. It's been a busy night."

I sighed with relief. "Thanks, guys. I just need some air."

We made our way to the exit, weaving through the remaining guests. As we stepped outside into the cool night air, the tension in my chest began to ease. The quiet contrast of the outdoors was a welcome reprieve from the chaos inside.

Erik draped his arm around my shoulders, giving me a reassuring squeeze. "You did great tonight, Iris. Father won't do anything to you."

Sebastian nodded in agreement. "Yeah, you handled everything like a pro. Let's just get home and relax."

I smiled at my brothers, grateful for their support. "Thanks, guys. I really appreciate it," I began, "But it's not Father I'm worried about."

Erik and Sebastian exchanged puzzled glances. "Then what is it?" Erik asked, concern deepening in his eyes.

I took a deep breath, feeling the cool air fill my lungs. "It's James. His father... he saw us. And the way he looked at us—I'm afraid of what he might do. Not to me, but to James."

Sebastian frowned, his protective instincts kicking in. "What do you mean? Did he threaten you?"

"No," I replied, shaking my head. "But his words, his tone... it was like a warning. And James... It makes me think he thought the same thing as me."

When we finally got home, the tension still lingered in the air

When we finally got home, the tension still lingered in the air. Erik and Sebastian followed me upstairs to my room, their concern visible.

I shut the door behind us and sank onto my bed, running my hands through my hair in frustration. Erik and Sebastian took seats on the floor, their expressions serious.

"Iris, what exactly happened between you and James?" Erik asked, leaning forward.

I sighed, hugging a pillow to my chest. "James and I... , his father saw us kissing and he wasn't happy about it. I'm worried that he'll force James to stay away from me once again, just like he did that summer when we were younger."

Sebastian frowned, his eyes darkening with anger. "You mean the summer you two were almost got together before his father made him push you away?"

"Yeah," I replied, my voice barely above a whisper. "We were so close, but then his father found out and made sure we were separated. It was like we never even had a chance."

Erik shook his head, his jaw clenched. "That's not fair, Iris. You shouldn't have to go through that again. Neither should James."

I nodded, feeling the weight of the memories pressing down on me. "I don't know what to do. If his father decides to take action, he has the power to make things really difficult for both of us."

Sebastian placed a hand on my knee, his expression softening. "We'll figure this out, Iris. We won't let anyone keep you and James apart again."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I looked at my brothers. "Thank you. I don't want to lose him again. Not like last time."

Erik stood up and moved to sit beside me on the bed, wrapping an arm around my shoulders. "You won't. We'll find a way to make him understand. And if that doesn't work, we'll find another way. You and James deserve to be happy."

⌗ !! ꒰ 17 ꒱ 🪩