― 18

[ 🪩 ]
| ❛ C H A P T E R . XVIII ❜ |

I walked side by side with Lin and Ruby down the school corridor, our footsteps echoing softly off the stone walls

The chatter of students still loudly in the background, but my focus was entirely on the path ahead. As we turned a corner, a group of familiar faces emerged—James and his friends.

My heart skipped a beat, but I kept my gaze firmly ahead, resisting the urge to look at him. I knew damn well not to. We passed each other as we didn't acknowledge one another.

Beside me, Ruby and Lin exchanged a glance. I could sense their curiosity burning. Ruby's hand brushed against my arm, a silent question hanging in the air.

"Did you and James fight?" Lin's voice was soft, barely above a whisper.

I forced a smile, trying my best not to show my true emotions, "No, we didn't fight. It's...complicated."

Ruby frowned, her concern deepening. "Complicated how? You two seemed fine earlier."

I sighed, the weight of the previous night pressing down on me. "It's not about us, really. It's...I'll tell you guys another time."

We continued walking down the corridor, the morning hustle of students bustling around us.
As we reached my locker, Lin and Ruby stood close, their concern evident. "You know we're here for you, right?" Lin said, her voice filled with sincerity.

I nodded, trying to keep my composure. "I know, and I appreciate it. It's just...James's father saw us last night. He wasn't happy, and I'm scared of what he might do."

Ruby's eyes widened. "You mean he's going to try and keep you apart? Like before?"

I nodded, the memories of that summer flooding back. "Yeah, exactly like before. I'm afraid he'll force James to stay away from me, just like he did then."

Lin frowned, her protective instincts kicking in. "That's not fair, Iris. You shouldn't have to go through this again. We need to figure out a way to deal with him."

Ruby nodded vigorously. "We can't let him control both your lives."

Just as Lin was about to respond, the bell rang, signaling the start of the next class. "We'll talk more at lunch," Lin said, giving my arm a reassuring squeeze.

Throughout the morning, I found it hard to concentrate in class. My thoughts kept drifting back to James and his father. It felt like a storm cloud was hanging over my head, ready to unleash its fury at any moment.

I walked briskly across the lacrosse field, the sound of practice drills filling the air around me

I walked briskly across the lacrosse field, the sound of practice drills filling the air around me. James was in the middle of training, his focused expression visible even from a distance.

"James, your girlfriend's here," Wren's teasing voice rang out across the field, drawing James's immediate attention. He stopped abruptly, turning to spot me approaching.

"Iris," he muttered softly under his breath, his eyes searching mine through the visor of his helmet.

"Well?" I asked, trying to assess his state while peering through the protective gear.

"Can you take that thing off?" I requested, my tone laced with a touch of impatience.

James swiftly removed his gloves and then worked to unfasten his helmet, still avoiding direct eye contact with me.

"Did he tell you to stay away again?" I questioned bluntly, my concern overtaking any attempt at small talk.

"What do you mean?" James responded, attempting to feign ignorance, though I saw through his act.

"You're being an asshole," I shot back firmly.

"Am I?" he replied, his head tilting slightly in contemplation.

"Stop playing dumb," I retorted, but my irritation softened as I noticed a fresh cut on his lip. Instinctively, I reached out, gently holding his chin to get a closer look at the injury.

"He did this to you, didn't he?" I asked softly, my voice tinged with sadness and anger as I traced the cut with my fingertips, tears welling up in my eyes.

James hesitated, his expression clouded with a mixture of emotions before he slowly nodded his head.

⌗ !! ꒰ 18 ꒱ 🪩