― 16

[ 🪩 ]
| ❛ C H A P T E R . XVI ❜ |

I walked out of my room, feeling a blend of excitement and nerves as my heels clicked against the wooden floor

I walked out of my room, feeling a blend of excitement and nerves as my heels clicked against the wooden floor. My hair was perfectly styled, my dress elegant, and my makeup flawless.

As I reached the living room, my brothers turned around, their eyes widening in surprise and admiration.

"You look amazing, lil sis," Sebastian said, stepping forward to pull me into a warm hug.

"Well, look who cleaned up nice," Erik teased, planting a soft kiss on the side of my head.

"Thank you, but let's get going, we don't want to be late," I said with a smile, eager to change the subject.

As we approached our car, our father appeared, a warm smile spreading across his face. "Well, look at you," he began, his eyes filled with pride. "My beautiful girl."

I laughed nervously, feeling a pang of discomfort at his attention. Offering him a tight smile, I leaned into his hug briefly before pulling away. "Thank you father. We should get going."

He nodded, his expression softening with understanding. "Of course, sweetheart. Let's have a great time tonight."

⋅˚₊‧ ★ ‧₊˚ ⋅

"Ruby, can't you chill for five seconds?" I asked, trailing behind her with Lin.

"I'm totally chill," she replied seriously.

Lin and I exchanged a knowing look as Ruby walked away. We knew she was anything but chill right now.

As we caught up to her, Lin snatched something from Ruby's hand.

"We worked our asses off for this party. And look around, it's perfect," Lin assured her.

We made our way to the second floor to chat with some other people.

As we ascended the stairs, Ruby huffed, "Why does everything have to be so complicated?"

I glanced at Lin, who rolled her eyes. "Because life would be boring otherwise," she replied, flashing a reassuring smile at me.

That's when I spotted James at the entrance, his gaze fixed right on me. My heart skipped a beat, and for a moment, everything else faded away. He wasn't supposed to be here. He was supposed to be at his family's conference.

But there he was, looking impeccably handsome in his blue suit, his eyes locked on mine with a big smile playing on his lips.

I felt a rush of  emotions — surprise, confusion, and maybe even a hint of excitement.

I glanced at Ruby and Lin, trying to mask my surprise, but I could feel the heat rising to my cheeks. "Um, guys, I'll be right back," I whispered, nodding discreetly towards James.

As James drew closer, I couldn't shake the feeling of anticipation mingled with apprehension. His gaze held mine with an intensity that made my pulse quicken. When he finally reached us, his smile widened, and he greeted us with a nod.

"Iris," he said, his voice warm and inviting. "You look stunning."

"Thanks," I replied, my voice betraying my nerves. "What are you doing here? I thought you had the line launch."

James chuckled, running a hand through his hair. "Change of plans. I wanted to be here, with you" he confessed.

Before I could respond, the music shifted, and the crowd around us began to sway to the rhythm. James extended his hand towards me with a playful twinkle in his eyes.

"Care to dance?" he asked, his tone teasing yet sincere.

I hesitated for a moment, my mind racing with different thoughts. But then, with a small smile, I placed my hand in his, allowing him to lead me onto the dance floor.

As we moved together, the distance between us melted away, and for that fleeting moment, it felt like it was just James and me. And suddenly, as our lips where inches from meeting, the dimly lit room suddenly turned into darkness, enveloping us in shadows.

The music came to an abrupt halt, replaced by murmurs of surprise and confusion from the guests. I felt James's hand tighten around mine, his grip steady in the darkness.

"Must be a blown fuse," I remarked, my voice calm despite the unexpected turn of events.

"The breaker box is near the steps in the west wing," he replied, trying to hide the disappointment in his voice, while leading the way.

I signaled Ruby from afar I would take care of the lightning issue while James dragged me away with him.

As James and I descended into the dimly lit basement, the air grew cooler, and the musty scent of old books and dust filled my nostrils.

Navigating through the darkness, I finally reached the breaker box, a looming metal structure securing the corner of the room.

With a flick of my wrist, I flipped the switches, unleashing the light that flooded the basement and surged through the building above.

As the lights flickered, a wave of applause and cheers echoed from the upper floors.

Turning to James, I flashed him a playful grin, our eyes meeting in the glow of the newly illuminated space.

As the room fell into silence, a sudden heavy tension hung in the air. My heart pounded in my chest, each beat echoing in the stillness as I nervously surveyed the room, unable to meet James's gaze.

With a hesitant step forward James took, I broke the silence, my voice soft. "That was your last official act as a committee member," I acknowledged.

"It was a pleasure working with you," I managed to utter, my voice barely above a whisper as I struggled to maintain my composure.

But James's response caught me off guard, "It sounds like you're saying goodbye," he observed, his voice tinged with a hint of sadness.

In that moment, something shifted between us, the tension crackling like electricity in the air. And before I could fully process what was happening, our lips met in a intense kiss, showing the desire that consumed us both.

he pulls me closer to him. His lips move fast against mine. I felt James's hands enveloping me, pulling me closer as if he couldn't bear to be apart from me for even a moment longer.

My own hands instinctively found their way to his neck, fingers tangling in the soft strands of his hair as I surrendered myself to the intoxicating rush of sensation.

Pressed against the sturdy wood of the breaker, I felt the hard planes of James's body melding against mine. He brings his lips down to my jaw and kisses my throat.

My breath catches as he starts kissing my neck, gently biting and caressing with his mouth. I pull him back up so that our lips connect once again. The roughness of his kiss matched only by the warmth of my own response.

⌗ !! ꒰ 16 ꒱ 🪩