― 21

[ 🪩 ]
| ❛ C H A P T E R . XXI ❜ |

We stood in silence for a few seconds, the tension between us thick and suffocating

We stood in silence for a few seconds, the tension between us thick and suffocating. I could see that James wasn't going to say anything more, so I turned to enter my dorm.

Before I could open the door, I felt James's strong grip on my arm, pulling me back towards him. His lips crashed into mine with an intensity that took my breath away. Instinctively, I couldn't keep myself from kissing him back.

He pulled me closer, erasing the small gap between us. His lips moving fast against mine. His fingers roamed my body, sending shivers down my spine. He held my waist tightly, as if afraid I might slip away.

Suddenly, I felt him lift me, his hands gripping my upper thighs. We continued to kiss hungrily, our breaths mingling. I wrapped my arms around his neck, playing with his hair as he supported me effortlessly.

One of his hands traveled past my butt, caressing it briefly before moving higher. His touch was electrifying. He tangled his fingers in my hair, deepening the kiss.

I could feel his heartbeat against my chest, fast and erratic, matching my own.

He opened the door to my dorm as I clung to him for support. Once inside my room, I felt my back hit the bed, James hovering over me. My breath caught as he started kissing my neck, gently biting and caressing with his mouth, sending shivers down my spine.

But as the intensity of the moment grew, a sudden sadness washed over me. I sat up abruptly, and James, noticing the change, sat at the edge of the bed, his face etched with concern.

"Iris? What's the matter?" he asked, his voice tender.

I stayed silent, the weight of frustration and sadness pressing down on me.

"I'm sorry," he confessed, breaking the silence.

"Why?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

"What's all this about?" I looked at him, searching for answers in his troubled eyes.

"My parents saw how much I was changing again because of you," he admitted, a pained expression crossing his face. "My dad saw you as a threat to his plans, and he was right. He swore to ruin your life, and I knew I couldn't protect you from him." He stood up, pacing back and forth next to my bed.

"James, you sometimes forget I'm a Laurent. My family has more connections and power than your father could ever imagine," I said, trying to reassure him.

"But still, you deserve someone who can protect you, and a family who welcomes you. I can't offer that. I can't offer you anything except problems that I can't even deal with," he rambled, frustration evident in his voice.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked softly. "You can't decide what I can or can't handle."

"I didn't want him to hurt you," he said, his voice trembling on the verge of tears.

"I'm not afraid of him," I admitted, watching him sit next to me on the bed, running his hands through his hair.

"How do you do it?" he sighed loudly. "You don't know what he's capable of."

"Well, he doesn't know what I'm capable of either," I teased, trying to lighten the mood.

"I don't want... I won't be able to..." He struggled to find the right words, his frustration palpable.

"James," I called gently, placing my hand on his shoulder. He turned to look at me, his eyes filled with a mix of frustration, love and hope.

"No more secrets, no lies," I said, holding his gaze firmly.

"I promise," he whispered, leaving a trail of kisses on my arm to which I laughed softly at his actions.

I moved to sit on his lap, straddling him with both legs. His hands stayed on my hips, a warm and reassuring touch as he examined my face with those deep, penetrating eyes.

I leaned in, connecting our lips in a soft, loving kiss. James pulled away slightly, looking up at me with a small smirk.

"What are you doing?" he asked, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"What couples do when they trust each other," | teased, brushing my nose against his.

"Couple?" he asked in a playful tone, raising an eyebrow.

"Well, you're certainly not my boy toy," I laughed softly, the sound mingling with his chuckle.

"How can someone have such a high IQ and then use words like 'boy toy'?" he teased, his playful smile lighting up his face.

"You really think this is the time to be cheeky?" I grinned, as he gently pushed a strand of hair out of my face.

"I'll be anything you like: boyfriend, boy toy, anything," he admitted earnestly, his voice soft but full of conviction. I wrapped my arms around his neck, my fingers playing with his hair.

"Anything?" | asked, my voice barely more than a whisper, searching his eyes for the truth.

"Everything," he assured, pulling me closer until our foreheads touched.

⌗ !! ꒰ 21 ꒱ 🪩