― 19

[ 🪩 ]
| ❛ C H A P T E R . XIX ❜ |

Several weeks had passed by since James and I had last spoken, our interactions reduced to stolen glances

Despite the distance between us, thoughts of him lingered in the back of my mind, often distracting me from the excitement of my recent acceptance letter to Oxford with outstanding results.

My family, proud and supportive as ever, celebrated this milestone with me, yet I couldn't shake the feeling of emptiness knowing James wasn't part of it.

Arriving at Oxford, I parked my car with Luke's help. He was attentive, opening doors and carrying my bags, but I insisted I could manage on my own once we reached the dorms.

"Do you need help?" a deep voice interrupted as I organized my belongings. I glanced up to find a tall, brown-haired young man standing nearby.

"No, thank you. I'll manage," I replied politely, attempting to smile despite the nerves bubbling inside me.

"Come on," he insisted, effortlessly taking my luggage and one of my bags from my grasp.

"Thank you," I said gratefully, genuinely touched by his gesture of kindness.

"No problem," he replied with a friendly smile.

As I turned to walk away, the young man spoke again. "Are you here for the interviews?" he asked curiously.

I paused, considering his question. "The dorms are..." he started, but I gently cut him off.

"Across and then turn right," I offered, indicating that I knew my way around.

"Thanks," he said appreciatively as I continued on my way.

"You're welcome. Nice to meet you," he called after me, his tone tinged with disappointment, but I waved back with a reassuring smile.

⋅˚₊‧ ★ ‧₊˚ ⋅

As I rummaged through my purse for my dorm keys, the sound of footsteps echoed across the hallway floor. Startled, I turned around swiftly, not prepared for the sight that greeted me.

There, standing just a few feet away, was James. His presence caught me off guard, and for a moment, time seemed to stand still as we both stared at each other in disbelief. His expression mirrored mine – a mix of surprise and perhaps longing.

Before either of us could utter a word, I acted on instinct. Fumbling with my keys, I managed to unlock the door to my dorm room and hurriedly stepped inside, shutting the door firmly behind me. The click of the lock echoed in the silence that followed, leaving me alone with my racing thoughts.

Inside the safety of my room, I leaned against the door, trying to steady my breath. The encounter with James had shaken me more than I cared to admit.

I met up with Ruby and Lin outside the dorms where our guide, the tall guy from yesterday, stood ready to lead us

I met up with Ruby and Lin outside the dorms where our guide, the tall guy from yesterday, stood ready to lead us. He explained the various activities we would be doing and outlined what was expected of us during these interviews.

Sitting calmly in one of the classroom chairs, I waited for my name to be called. I felt someone's stare on me and turned my head, finding James's gaze fixed on me.

"Iris Laurent, Baliol," a voice called. I stood from my seat, deliberately avoiding James's eyes as I ascended the stairs.

Just before exiting the room, I felt James gently grab my hand. I looked down at his chair and met his gaze, which held a warm, encouraging expression.

"Good luck," he said, caressing my hand before letting go and looking down at his lap.

I quickly turned to leave the room, my mind racing as I stared at the hand James had touched. Thoughts swirled, making it hard to focus.

"Hey," a familiar voice broke through my reverie.

"No need to be nervous, you've got this," the young man from yesterday smiled reassuringly. I returned his smile softly, appreciating the encouragement.

⋅˚₊‧ ★ ‧₊˚ ⋅

"How did it go?" Lin asked excitedly, Ruby standing eagerly beside her.

"Really well, I think. It was actually fun talking to them," I replied, grinning.

"How about you guys?" I asked, my smile widening.

"I quoted Plato," Ruby said proudly.

"At least they didn't glare at you guys. The professor in my interview had such a bushy unibrow, he looked like an angry Mr. Bean," Lin admitted, making us all laugh.

As we continued chatting, the same guy who helped with my luggage beamed in. "How was the first round, okay?" he asked.

"Good," I replied, with Lin and Ruby echoing their own 'goods.'

"It definitely looks like you could relax a bit," he noted, observing our relieved faces. "Tonight, 8 PM? Oxford style?" he invited.

I glanced at Ruby and Lin, who both nodded enthusiastically, urging me to accept. Despite my uncertainty, their excitement was infectious.

"Sure, why not," I said, trying to match their energy.

"Great! See you then," he said with a smile before walking off.

⌗ !! ꒰ 19 ꒱ 🪩