― 03

[ 🪩 ]
| ❛ C H A P T E R . III ❜ |

As the school hours finally came to an end, the tension from my encounter with James still lingered

As the school hours finally came to an end, the tension from my encounter with James still lingered. I found my brother, Erik, waiting for me by the school entrance. His serious expression melted into a smile as soon as he saw me.

"Let's go, Rik," I said, signaling him toward the car.

We walked out of the school together, the late afternoon sun casting long shadows across the courtyard.

The air was filled with the sounds of students chatting and laughing, but my thoughts were consumed by what had happened earlier.

Luke, our driver, opened the car door for me. I thanked him with a smile and slid into the backseat, Erik following suit. The ride home was quiet, until Erik broke the silence.

"I heard James Beaufort was looking for you," he began cautiously. "Did he give you any trouble?"

I glanced at him, the memory of James's threats flashing through my mind. "He just wanted to ask me something," I lied smoothly, trying to keep my voice steady.

Erik frowned, clearly not buying my nonchalant answer. "Are you sure? You know you can tell me if something's wrong."

I forced a smile. "Really, it's nothing. Just school stuff."

Erik seemed unconvinced but let it drop, turning his attention to the scenery outside. I leaned back in my seat, my mind racing with thoughts of how to deal with James and the secret we now carried.

When we arrived home, the grand facade of our house loomed before us. Inside, I found my father sitting in the study, engrossed in some paperwork. Sebastian, my older brother, was lounging on the couch, scrolling through his phone.

"Hello, Father," I greeted as I entered the study. He looked up, his stern face softening slightly at the sight of me.

"Good to see you, darling," he said. "How was school?"

"Fine," I replied, not wanting to delve into the day's events. "Just the usual."

"Anything I should know about?" he asked, his eyes probing.

"No, everything's fine," I repeated, forcing a smile. "Just a busy day."

He nodded, seemingly satisfied with my answer, and turned back to his work. I left the study and joined Erik and Sebastian in the living room.

Sebastian looked up from his phone, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "Heard you had a run-in with James Beaufort," he said casually. "What's that about?"

"Nothing major," I said, trying to keep my tone light. "Just school stuff."

"You sure?" he pressed; his curiosity piqued.

"Positive," I replied firmly, not wanting to give away the events.

⋅˚₊‧ ★ ‧₊˚ ⋅

Dinner was a quiet affair, the usual banter subdued. Afterward, I retreated to my room, feeling the weight of the day pressing down on me.

I needed to stay focused and figure out what to do with the upcoming modeling and design work for the family business looming over me.

Later that evening, Erik knocked on my door and poked his head in. "Hey, you okay?" he asked, concern etched on his face.

"Yeah," I sighed, glancing at the sketches and fabric swatches spread across my desk. "Just trying to wrap my head around everything."

"You know we're here for you, right?" he said, stepping inside. "Whatever it is, you don't have to handle it alone."

"I know," I replied, giving him a small smile. "Thanks, Rik. It's just a lot with the modeling and designs Dad expects me to finalize."

He nodded, understanding. "You've always been great at this stuff. You'll handle it."

"Thanks," I said, feeling a bit reassured by his confidence in me.

I turned back to my desk, determined to finish the designs and prepare for the photoshoot.  With a deep breath, I started working, knowing that with my Brothers's support, I could handle anything.

Hours passed as I sketched and re-sketched, the lines on the paper slowly transforming into elegant designs. I felt a surge of satisfaction as I saw my ideas come to life.

The next morning, I woke up early, my sketches neatly organized in a portfolio. I headed downstairs to find my father already at the breakfast table, reading the newspaper. He glanced up and gave me a nod of approval.

"Good morning, Iris," he said. "Ready for the meeting today?"

"Yes, I've finalized the designs," I replied confidently, holding up the portfolio. "I'm looking forward to presenting them."

"Excellent," he said with a rare smile. "I'm sure they'll be impressive."

After breakfast, Sebastian, Erik and I headed to the family business office. The drive was filled with our usual mix of banter and silence, but I could sense Erik's supportive presence, giving me the strength I needed.

At the office, we joined our father in the conference room. The senior designers and executives were already there, waiting. I took a deep breath, steadied my nerves, and began my presentation.

As I spoke, I felt a growing sense of confidence. My designs were met with nods of approval and murmurs of appreciation. When I finished, there was a round of applause.

"Well done, Iris," my father said, pride evident in his voice. "You've outdone yourself."

Relief washed over me. "Thank you," I said, beaming. "I'm glad you all liked it."

With the presentation over, I focused on the upcoming photoshoot. The next few days were a whirlwind of activity, photographers, and stylists.

⌗ !! ꒰ 03 ꒱ 🪩