Chapter 1: First encounters

Nerya's POV:

It's brutally cold outside. The rapid winds pick up the litter thrown around and toss them into the sky. I clutch my purse, pulling my coat closer to my body. I can feel the goosebumps, even under my black turtleneck and warm, brown winter coat. I shiver, pulling my brown and white plaid scarf over my mouth. New York sure does bring out the cold in the winter holidays. It's December now but the Christmas lights hang all around central New York. It truly is a beautiful sight.

I walk through the crowded streets and look up at the cloudy sky, the moonlight hitting all the right places. It feels like it might snow later, but I want to get something to eat before heading back home.

I pause for a moment or two, the smell of coffee overwhelming my senses. I love coffee even though I shouldn't drink it. It's one of the reasons why I came to New York. The Christmas lights, the coffee, and the people, although I heard some of the people here can be awfully rude.

I smile, looking up at the coffee shop, the aesthetic design catching my eye the most. I take a deep breath, breathing in the smell of donuts and freshly baked cookies. I wanted to buy some but I didn't want to spend all of my money on coffee and donuts. My parents just sent me money and I wanted to save it for more important things. After I graduated college and got my master's degree, I begged my parents to let me go on a trip. I chose New York and once I find a job I might start living here. My parents agreed to send me 12,000 dollars a month for six months. They said that should be enough time for me to find a job and a stable living space. Until then, I'm staying in a penthouse that my father owns.

I don't like relying on people so I saved up my own money too. It's enough for me to get by and get a little extra too. I'm not sure what I want to do or where I want to work but I'm excited about a new beginning.

I walk into the coffee shop, standing in line behind these women. They were kind of loud and they seemed like they had a lot to talk about.

"Do you see him over there? He is so fine and I heard that he works for that business in upstate New York." The tall one with blonde hair said, pointing to a man on the other side of the cafe.

He was very masculine and he seemed above everyone else. He was obviously rich but that wasn't what stuck out about him. I think those women were interested in him because of his looks: his olive skin, green eyes, and black hair. I can see what the fuss was about but still, they should try to be a little bit less obvious. I mean he doesn't seem like the type but that could probably make someone uncomfortable.

"Should I ask for his number?" The tall blonde asks the girl beside her.

"Ask for me too." The short blonde laughs, hugging the tall blonde as she looks over at the guy.

"Okay, okay." The blonde says, smiling as she flips her hair back and builds up the confidence to ask him.

"Excuse me." The blonde says, getting the guy to turn and look at her.

"I was wondering if I could get your number." She says, batting her eyes at him.

"Je suis désolé, je ne parle pas très bien l'anglais." He mutters, looking up at the group of women he just ran into.

They look confused and upset. They clearly don't know what he said, but I do. I'm fluent in four languages, French being my first language. I learned English four years ago back while I was in college.

"I'm sorry, I'm not very fluent in English. That's what he said." I intervene, giving the man a soft smile.

The blonde short girl with the brunette tips looks up at me. She pauses for a moment. I scream rich and she knows it too. I won't flaunt that around though.