Chapter 8: Dinner Dates

Airs' POV:

I wake up early, my mind still occupied with the events of the previous day. My phone buzzes on the nightstand, and I see a message from Willam, Vanerya's father, asking me to meet him for breakfast. It's not an invitation I can refuse, especially given the respect I have for him and our long-standing professional relationship.

As I walk into the upscale restaurant, I spot Willam immediately. He's seated at a corner table, sipping coffee and looking as composed as ever. I make my way over, trying to steady my nerves. I know this conversation is going to be about Vanerya, and I've been trying to convince myself that my feelings for her are purely professional.

"Airs," Willam greeted me, standing to shake my hand. "Thanks for coming on such short notice."

"Of course, Willam," I replied, taking a seat across from him. "What's on your mind?"

The waitress came by, and we placed our orders. As she walked away, Willam leaned forward slightly, his eyes studying me.

"I want to talk about Vanerya," he began, his tone straightforward. "She's been through a lot recently, and I'm concerned about her well-being."

"I understand," I said, nodding. "She mentioned some of what's been happening. I've been doing my best to support her."

Willam gave a slight nod. "She told me about yesterday. About you stepping in with that Jacob guy. I appreciate you looking out for her."

"It was the right thing to do," I replied, trying to keep my voice neutral.

He paused, then continued, "Airs, I've always had a soft spot for you. I respect you as a businessman and as a person. But Vanerya is my daughter, and she means everything to me. If there's something more between you two, I need to know that you'll treat her with the care and respect she deserves."

I took a deep breath, trying to gather my thoughts. "Willam, I... I don't have feelings for Vanerya in that way. She's my employee, and I'm committed to maintaining a professional relationship with her."

Willam's eyes didn't waver. "Airs, I've known you for a long time. I can tell when you're not being entirely honest. I'm not here to pry into your personal life, but I need you to be straight with me. If you do have feelings for her, you need to acknowledge them and understand what's at stake."

I swallowed hard, trying to maintain my composure. "I care about Vanerya's well-being. That's the extent of it."

Willam leaned back, his expression softening just a fraction. "Airs, I know how hard it is to admit certain things to yourself. But if you have feelings for Vanerya, you need to be clear about them—not just with me, but with her and yourself."

I nodded, feeling a mix of frustration and resignation. "I understand, Willam. I'll make sure she's treated with the utmost respect, regardless of my feelings."

He looked at me intently. "Good. Because if you hurt her in any way, you'll have to answer to me. And I don't take kindly to anyone causing my daughter pain."

The weight of his words hung in the air. I knew he meant every syllable. "I understand," I said quietly.

The rest of our breakfast was filled with more mundane conversation, but the underlying tension remained. As I left the restaurant, I couldn't shake the feeling that Willam's words had forced me to confront something I had been trying to ignore.

I had to be honest with myself about my feelings for Vanerya, but more importantly, I had to ensure that whatever path I chose, it wouldn't lead to her getting hurt.

_____

After my meeting with Willam, his words echoed in my mind. I couldn't stop thinking about Vanerya, and I knew I needed to see her. The protective feelings I had for her were undeniable, and I couldn't just ignore them. As the day progressed, I decided to take a chance and invited her to dinner.

I waited until the end of the workday, hoping she'd say yes. When I approached her, I tried to keep my tone casual, even though my heart was racing.

"Vanerya, would you like to join me for dinner tonight?" I asked, trying to gauge her reaction.

She hesitated, a conflicted look crossing her face. "I'm sorry, Airs, but I can't tonight. I have some things I need to take care of at home."

I felt a pang of disappointment but managed to smile. "I understand. Maybe another time."

She nodded and gave me a small, apologetic smile before leaving the office. I watched her go, feeling the frustration and longing build inside me. I couldn't let it end like this. Impulsively, I decided to drive over to her house.

When I arrived, I stood outside her door for a moment, gathering my thoughts. Then I rang the bell. After a few seconds, Vanerya opened the door, looking surprised to see me.

"Airs, what are you doing here?" she asked, her eyes wide.

"I know you said you were busy, but I wanted to talk to you," I said, my voice earnest. "Can I come in?"

She looked hesitant but finally nodded, stepping aside to let me in. "Okay. Come in."

We moved to the living room, and she offered me a drink. I accepted, and soon we were sitting on the couch, sipping our drinks and talking. The conversation started off light, but as the night went on, it became more personal.

"Airs, why did you really come here tonight?" Vanerya asked, looking at me intently.

I took a deep breath, deciding to be honest. "Because I can't stop thinking about you, Vanerya. And I couldn't just leave things the way they were after this morning."

She looked down at her drink, her cheeks flushing slightly. "I've been thinking about it too," she admitted softly.

The tension between us was palpable. I reached out and gently took her hand, feeling the electricity between us. "Vanerya, I care about you more than I've been willing to admit, even to myself."

She looked up at me, her eyes filled with emotion. "Airs, I... I don't know what to say."

"You don't have to say anything," I said, moving closer. "Just... let's see where this goes."

Without another word, I leaned in and kissed her. It was a gentle, tentative kiss at first, but it quickly deepened as we both gave in to the feelings we had been holding back. Her lips were soft and warm, and the kiss felt like the culmination of all the unspoken words and emotions between us.

When we finally pulled away, we were both breathless, staring at each other in a mixture of surprise and longing. "Vanerya," I whispered, my forehead resting against hers. "I don't want to rush anything, but I want to explore this. Whatever this is between us."

She nodded, her eyes shining. "Me too, Airs."