Chapter 15: Crossbows, Arrows, and Guns

Airs' POV;

Entering the office the next day, I felt a strange mixture of exhilaration and distraction. Last night with Vanerya had been incredible, and the memory of it clung to me, refusing to fade. Every step I took through the bustling hallways of our company seemed to bring back the sensation of her touch, the warmth of her skin against mine.

Vanerya hadn't come into work today, citing personal reasons. I knew she was too sore from our passionate night together, and a part of me felt a guilty pride about that. I tried to focus on the tasks at hand, but my mind kept wandering back to her.

Meetings and phone calls blurred together, my concentration faltering as images of Vanerya flooded my thoughts. I remembered the way she had looked at me, the feel of her lips against mine, and the softness of her body as we moved together. It was impossible to ignore the magnetic pull I felt towards her, and I found myself counting down the hours until I could see her again.

During lunch, I retreated to my office, hoping for a brief respite from the day's demands. As I sat at my desk, eating a sandwich that tasted like cardboard, my mind drifted back to Vanerya. I could almost feel her presence, the memory of her touch so vivid it was like she was right there with me.

I fantasized about the way her body had responded to mine, the softness of her curves, and the way she had looked at me with those eyes filled with desire. I remembered the sound of her voice, breathless and urgent, and the way she had clung to me as if I were the only thing keeping her grounded. The way she begged for more each time she reached her climax.

I shook my head, trying to clear my thoughts, but it was no use. The memory of Vanerya was too powerful, too consuming. I knew I had to get through the rest of the day, but all I could think about was her, the way she made me feel, and the undeniable connection we shared.

As the afternoon dragged on, I realized that no matter how hard I tried to focus on work, my thoughts would always return to her. Vanerya had become an inescapable part of my mind, and I couldn't deny the pull I felt toward her.

By the time the day finally ended, I was desperate to see her again, to feel her in my arms and hear her voice. I knew that whatever this was between us, it was something I couldn't ignore. And as I left the office, I made a silent promise to myself to figure out exactly what it was and how to make it work.

On my way home to see Vanerya, I decided to stop by a little café she mentioned loving during our conversation last night. She had shared so much about herself, her favorite things, and I wanted to surprise her with something special. The thought of seeing her smile when I brought her favorite pastry or drink made me quicken my pace as I approached the café.

As I stood in line, my mind was filled with thoughts of Vanerya—her laughter, the way she looked at me, the softness in her voice when she spoke about the things she loved. I couldn't wait to see her again, to hold her, to reassure her that what we had was real and important to me.

But as I waited in line, I felt a presence behind me. Turning around, my anticipation was shattered. There she stood, Haley, with that same smug expression I remembered all too well. My blood began to boil instantly. Memories of betrayal and deceit surged through me, and I had to fight to keep my composure.

"Airs," she said, her voice dripping with a false sweetness that only fueled my anger further.

"Haley," I responded coolly, trying to keep my voice steady.

"What a surprise to see you here," she continued, completely oblivious to—or perhaps delighting in—my clear discomfort.

I clenched my fists at my sides, trying to keep my temper in check. The last thing I wanted was to cause a scene, but Haley always had a way of getting under my skin.

"I'm just picking up something for someone," I said curtly, hoping she would take the hint and leave me alone.

But of course, Haley being Haley, she didn't. Instead, she stepped closer, her eyes narrowing slightly. "Someone special?" she asked, her tone suggesting more than mere curiosity.

My jaw tightened. "Yes," I said simply, turning back toward the counter and hoping she would take the hint.

She didn't. "You know, Airs, I've missed you," she said, her voice now a low, almost purring sound that made my skin crawl.

I turned to face her fully, my patience wearing thin. "Whatever you're trying to do, Haley, it's not going to work. I've moved on. I suggest you do the same."

Her eyes flashed with anger, but she quickly masked it with a smile. "We'll see," she said, before finally stepping back, she paused for a moment looking up at me. "You and Vanerya will never work out."

Something inside me snapped. The calm veneer I had tried to maintain shattered into a thousand pieces. The café's soft chatter faded into the background as my vision tunneled, focusing solely on Haley.

"You have no idea what you're talking about," I spat, my voice low and dangerous. "You think you can come here and mess with my life again? After everything you did?"

Haley smirked, clearly enjoying the reaction she was provoking. "Oh, Airs, still so naive. Vanerya will never forgive you once she knows who you really are."

Rage boiled over, and I couldn't hold back any longer. "You mean after everything you did?" I retorted, my voice rising. "You cheated on me, Haley. You betrayed Vanerya, your supposed best friend. You're a liar and a manipulator, and you think you have any right to come here and lecture me about my relationship?"

Haley's smirk faltered, but she quickly regained her composure. "And what are you going to do about it? Tell her the truth about who you really are? About your past?"

My blood ran cold. "Leave her out of this," I growled, stepping closer to Haley. "Vanerya is the best thing that ever happened to me, and I won't let you ruin that."

Haley laughed, a cold, mirthless sound. "We'll see about that," she said, turning to leave.

I couldn't take it anymore. I grabbed her arm, the movement swift and forceful. "We're not done here," I hissed, dragging her out of the café and into the nearby alley. The dim light cast long shadows, creating an eerie, secluded atmosphere.

"See I'll tell you I'm yours." I pause looking straight into her eyes.

"But realistically.."

"It's only ever gonna be Vanerya." I smirk as Haley's entire face changes.

Haley tried to pull away once she realized her little plan wasn't working, but I tightened my grip, pushing her against the wall. "Listen to me," I said, my voice low and furious. "You stay away from Vanerya. You stay away from me. If you come near us again, if you even think about spreading lies, you'll regret it."

Haley's eyes widened in surprise, but she quickly masked it with defiance. "You can't intimidate me, Airs. I know too much."

I leaned in closer, my face inches from hers. "I don't care what you think you know," I whispered. "Vanerya is my life now, and I'm not going to let you or anyone else ruin that. Understand?"

Haley glared at me, but I could see the uncertainty in her eyes. After a tense moment, she finally nodded.

"But there is something you should know." I quickly lift her chin up so she's looking right at me.

"She's on my mind when I'm on yours."

I released her, stepping back and taking a deep breath to calm myself. "It is over, Haley. For good."

She straightened her clothes, giving me one last glare before walking away. I watched her go, my heart pounding in my chest. Once she was out of sight, I leaned against the wall, trying to steady my breathing.

She turned back one last time. Always trying to get the finale word.

"Airs this relationship you have with her isn't normal. You'll ruin her." Haley stared at me, finding not even a hint of remorse.

"She wants to be ruined."