Chapter 18: New beginnings

Nerya's POV:

After my deep conversation with Airs, I slept more peacefully than I had in a long time. His words, his presence, gave me a sense of security that I hadn't realized I was craving. When I woke the next morning, I felt refreshed, as if a weight had been lifted from my shoulders.

Today, I was meeting my dad for a proper outing. We had planned to have breakfast together, something we hadn't done in a while due to our busy schedules. I got dressed, feeling a bit nervous but determined to enjoy the time with him.

When I arrived at the café, Dad was already seated at a corner table, his face lighting up when he saw me. "Vanerya, there you are," he said warmly, standing up to give me a hug. I melted into his embrace, feeling a familiar comfort that only he could provide.

We ordered our food and started catching up, talking about everything and nothing. It felt good to reconnect, to share a meal without the pressure of work or other obligations hanging over us. But then, in the middle of our conversation, he glanced at my hands and his expression shifted slightly.

"Where's your ring, Nerya?" he asked, his tone casual but his eyes probing.

I froze, my mind racing. I hadn't even realized I wasn't wearing it until he pointed it out. The ring that symbolized so much, that had been a constant reminder of my past and my commitments. I looked down at my empty finger, the silence stretching between us.

I couldn't find the words to explain, to tell him about the changes happening in my life, about Airs and what he meant to me. I didn't have to. Dad watched me intently for a few moments, then nodded slowly, understanding dawning in his eyes. He knew me well enough to read the unspoken words.

After a few more moments of silence, he reached across the table and squeezed my hand. "You're growing up, Nerya. It's okay to change, to move on."

I nodded, feeling a lump in my throat. We finished our breakfast in relative silence, but it wasn't uncomfortable. It was a shared understanding, an acceptance that things were shifting and that it was part of life.

After breakfast, we walked back to my place, talking lightly about his upcoming business trip and my plans for the week. When we arrived, he pulled me into another hug.

"Take care of yourself, Vanerya. And remember, I'm always here for you."

"I know, Dad," I said, hugging him tightly. "Thank you. For everything."

We said our goodbyes, and I watched him drive away, feeling a mix of emotions. It was a bittersweet moment, knowing that I was stepping into a new chapter of my life. As I walked back into my place, I thought about Airs, about the conversation we had and the promise of what could be.

This was just the beginning, and for the first time in a long time, I felt ready to embrace it.