Chapter 6: Heartstrings

Airs' POV:

Sitting in my office, I watch the city skyline through the large windows, my thoughts consumed by Vanerya. Yesterday was unexpected, to say the least. Seeing her at the bar, tipsy and vulnerable, stirred something in me I hadn't anticipated.

Today was a different story. Vanerya avoided me all day, her usual efficiency tinged with a noticeable distance. I could see the conflict in her eyes whenever our paths crossed, and it made me question everything I thought I understood about our dynamic.

After the last meeting, I finally managed to get a moment alone with her. I told her, When you're ready, we can talk about how we feel. It was a risky move, but I needed to clear the air. Now, sitting here, I realize I need to take control of my own feelings before they spiral into something deeper, something I can't afford.

Vanerya is more than just an employee. She's intelligent, driven, and undeniably attractive. But she's also the daughter of one of the most influential men on Wall Street, a connection that adds layers of complexity to any potential relationship. I can't let myself be swayed by emotions that could jeopardize not only my position but also her career.

I sigh, leaning back in my chair. The office is quiet, most of the staff having left for the day. The silence gives me space to think, to strategize. I need to distance myself from Vanerya, at least emotionally. I can't let these burgeoning feelings interfere with my judgment or my responsibilities as CEO.

Seeing her every day will be a challenge, but I have to compartmentalize. Work is work, and personal feelings have no place here. I can't let a moment of vulnerability turn into a liability.

Tomorrow, I'll keep my distance. I'll focus on the tasks at hand, the meetings, the decisions that need to be made. I'll treat Vanerya with the same professionalism I've always shown. If she needs time to sort out her feelings, I'll give her that space. And in the meantime, I'll work on shutting down my own.

It's not going to be easy. Every time I see her, I'm reminded of the way she looked at me last night, the way her voice trembled when she tried to express her gratitude and confusion. But I can't let those memories dictate my actions.

On my way home, I decided to stop by a convenience store to grab something quick for dinner. As I pulled into the parking lot, I noticed a commotion near the entrance. It took me a moment to realize that it was Vanerya, and my heart sank when I saw the man with her. They were arguing, his grip tight on her arm, and she looked scared.

I didn't hesitate. I parked the car and strode over to them, my mind already set on what I had to do.

"Is there a problem here?" I asked, my voice carrying the authority I used in the boardroom.

The guy turned to look at me, his face twisted in anger. "This is none of your business."

"It is now," I said, stepping between him and Vanerya. "Let her go."

He hesitated, his eyes flickering between me and Vanerya. "Who the hell are you?"

"I'm someone you don't want to mess with," I replied, my gaze steady. "Now let her go."

Reluctantly, he released her arm, and Vanerya immediately stepped behind me. I could feel her trembling, and it fueled my resolve.

"Get out of here," I ordered, my voice low and dangerous. "And don't ever come near her again."

The guy muttered something under his breath but finally walked away, casting one last glare over his shoulder. I watched him until he disappeared around the corner, then turned to Vanerya.

"Are you okay?" I asked, my voice softer now.

She nodded, but I could see the tears welling up in her eyes. "Thank you, Airs. I... I didn't know what to do."

"Come on," I said gently, leading her to my car. "I'll drive you home."

The drive was quiet at first, the tension still hanging in the air. I wanted to give her time to compose herself before asking any questions. After a few minutes, she took a deep breath and spoke.

"That was my ex," she said, her voice barely above a whisper. "He's been trying to contact me for weeks, but I blocked him everywhere. He must have found out where I was somehow."

"Has he harassed you before?" I asked, keeping my tone calm despite the anger building inside me.

She nodded. "Yes, that's why I broke up with him. He couldn't take no for an answer, and he started showing up at my place, my work... It got really bad."

"Plus he cheated on me."

I clenched the steering wheel, my knuckles turning white. "You're safe now, Vanerya. If he comes near you again, I'll make sure he regrets it."

She glanced at me, her eyes wide. "Thank you, Airs. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't shown up."

We pulled up to her apartment building, and I turned to face her. "Listen, if you ever need anything, call me. Day or night, I'll be there."

She nodded, a small smile forming on her lips. "I don't think that's professional."

"Fuck professionalism."

She smirked a little, unbuckling her seatbelt before glancing up at me.

As she got out of the car and headed inside, I knew I couldn't let this go. I had to make sure that guy understood the consequences of his actions. I waited until she was safely inside before driving back to the convenience store. It didn't take long to find him; he was lingering in the same spot, probably waiting to see if I would leave.

I approached him, my footsteps echoing in the quiet night. He looked up, startled, as I grabbed him by the collar and pushed him against the wall.

"Listen carefully," I said, my voice a low growl. "If you ever come near Vanerya again, if you so much as breathe in her direction, you'll lose both your hands. Do you understand?"

He swallowed hard, his eyes wide with fear. "Yeah, I get it."

I released him, watching as he stumbled away, his bravado gone. As I walked back to my car, I felt a sense of satisfaction. Vanerya deserved to feel safe, and I would make sure she did.

Driving home, I thought about her and how she'd opened up to me. I couldn't ignore the growing feelings I had for her, but for now, my priority was her safety. And I would do whatever it took to protect her.