Chapter 24: Dark secrets and lies (part 5)

Airs' POV:

As I lunged at Jacob, my fists connected with his face, fueled by pure rage. The impact sent him staggering back, but he didn't fall. His sneer faded slightly, replaced by a flicker of surprise and fear. That look only fueled my anger further, and I didn't hold back.

Blow after blow, I hammered into him. His nose cracked under the force of my knuckles, blood splattering onto the ground. He tried to fight back, landing a few weak punches, but he was no match for the fury driving me. My knuckles ached, the skin splitting, but I didn't care. All I could see was the image of Vanerya lying in a pool of her own blood, and it pushed me to keep going.

The anger and the rage was so raw, so intensifying. "I'll burn this city to the ground with you in it, if Vanerya doesn't come out of this alive! Do you hear me?" I felt my voice crack and the tears starting to show. I was so angry and so hurt. If I lost the one thing I've ever received—if I lost her before we even begin, I would lose myself completely.

Jacob fell to the ground, curling into a ball, trying to shield himself from my relentless assault. I kept hitting him, feeling the resistance of his body give way, feeling his ribs crack under the pressure. My breath came in ragged gasps, my vision narrowing to a tunnel focused solely on his broken form.

Finally, when he lay there unmoving, covered in blood, I stopped. My chest heaved with exertion, and I stepped back, the world around me coming back into focus. That's when I saw her.

Haley.

She stood at the entrance of the alley, her eyes wide with horror. For a moment, she was frozen, and then she turned to run. Instinctively, I reached out and grabbed her arm, yanking her back with a force that made her yelp. She stumbled, nearly falling, but I held her steady, my grip like iron.

"You're not going anywhere," I growled, dragging her back toward Jacob. She struggled, but I tightened my grip, forcing her to watch as I knelt beside Jacob's broken form.

"This is what you've done," I said, my voice low and dangerous. "This is your fault."

Haley tried to pull away, her eyes darting around in desperation. "Let me go, Airs," she pleaded, her voice trembling. "I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

"Didn't you?" I snapped, my eyes boring into hers. "You've caused nothing but pain and suffering for everyone around you. It's time you faced the consequences."

She whimpered, her defiance shattered. I turned back to Jacob, grabbing him by the collar and lifting his bloodied face toward her.

"Look at him," I commanded. "Look at what you've done."

Jacob's eyes fluttered open, blood trickling from his mouth. He coughed, a wet, gurgling sound, and Haley recoiled in disgust.

"Airs, please," she begged. "This isn't the way."

I ignored her, my focus solely on Jacob. "If you ever come near Vanerya again, if you even think about hurting her, I will end you," I mocked, my voice filled with venom. "What of that did you not understand?"

Jacob glanced down weakly, his eyes filled with fear. I released him, letting him slump back to the ground. The rage that had consumed me began to ebb, replaced by a cold, calculating resolve. I turned to Haley, my grip on her arm tightening.

"You're coming with me," I said, my voice leaving no room for argument. "You're going to explain everything to Vanerya. She deserves to know the truth."

Haley's eyes widened, and she shook her head. "I can't," she whispered. "She'll hate me."

"She already does," I replied bluntly. "But you owe her this. You owe her the truth."

Without another word, I dragged her out of the alley and to my car. She didn't resist, her spirit broken, knowing she had no choice. As I drove back to the hospital, my thoughts were consumed by Vanerya.