Time to leave

Miguel moved his hand viciously around the hologram computers. For the next hour I was silent, working on the papers and writing down numbers.

Every once in a while I would turn to look at Miguel. But this time something caught me attention. His eyes plaster on the screen, watching a video. No, a security camera. Gwen and majority of the crew walked together down the halls. It was only a matter of time before they would storm into the room.

Miguel then pulls something out of a case. My eyes widen at the strange syringe and serum he injects into his right shoulder.
L
"Miguel?"

Hiding behind his computer's he sighs, "what?"

"W-what is that for?"

It is a long pause before he speaks again. How many secrets can one hold? It feels like I'm still just a stranger to him. "Some of us spiders can't be gifted forever." Lifting the syringe up in the area, he examines it. "This helps me become who I am."

My shock behinds behind my eyes. This whole time it was a serum he used to become this vampire type spider? I hate to say it but I'm kinda pissed he didn't tell me.

"Oh." It is all I could say. His words were loud and clear, I didn't have reason to pry further.

My spider hearing takes over. The sounds of unrhythmic footsteps play out in the back hall. Two, no three individual footsteps move towards us.

There was a giggle echoing the room. My hearing immediately shifts to Miguel once more. A girl maybe 7 or 8 laughs, licking the ice cream in her hands while being lifted up on Miguel's shoulder. He smiled a smile I've never seen. A smile I'm afraid will never be seen again.

The steps get louder until they...stop. I turn my head to see new faces mixed with the familiar in Miguel's lab. Well the only unfamiliar face is the one in the direct middle. His curly black hair and chocolate skin. The innocent look in his eyes mixed with excitement. From the looks of it, he's just a kid.

Miguel begins to lower his elevated workstation very...very slowly. I silently cringe in my small middle school chair and metal table.

"I know it's slow but—-it's his thing." Gwen says to the boy beside her. He smiles in relief, watching Miguel's back faces him. "Miguel O'Hara, meet Miles Morales."

I choke on my own spit, coughing historically. Gwen glances at me before averting her eyes back at Miguel.

So this is a Miles Morales I've heard about. How cute!

"Hey! Qué tal tío? I speak Spanish." Miles pulls a small food container out of nowhere. " te trajé una empinada.

Miguel sends his laser webs towards Miles hands. The empinadas meet Miguel's hands in one swift move.

"Qué maravilla." He drops it in the trash with a soft thump.

"Miguel," I warn, my voice low and firm. He took the hint, but just didn't care.

The tension in the room remained for only a second before the boy begins his yapping again. "Listen l, I-I'm really excited to get going and-"

"Oh great." Miguel mocks.

"I have some fresh new ideas on how to catch The Spot-"

"Oh wow."

"He just wanted to be taken seriously, ya'know? Like as we all do"

"Uh huh uh huh."

Miguel picks up the trash can and launches is straight towards Miguel. I jump up from my chair, watching Miles fling himself out of the way.