Goodwill

Iris

The following morning, I awoke with a sense of restlessness that refused to abate.

Last night's dinner had stirred up a whirlpool of emotions, and sleep had been elusive. The encounter with Luke had been both exhilarating and unsettling.

How was he so composed last night when I was quaking mess at the mere sight of him.

As I sat at the vanity, brushing my hair the heavy mahogany door creaked open.

Adam entered, looking every bit the successful billionaire he was. His presence, usually commanding, felt overbearing today.

"Good morning doll," he greeted,leaning down and planting a firm kiss on my cheek, a touch of concern in his voice. "Are you okay? You seemed a bit off last night."

"I'm fine," I replied, forcing a smile. "Just a lot on my mind with the wedding planning and everything."

He studied me for a moment, his eyes narrowing slightly. "Pauline, has some ideas for us. She suggested a destination wedding in Thailand. What do you think?"

A destination wedding in Thailand. The idea was beautiful, exotic, and entirely in line with what my parents would want—a grand, opulent event to showcase their daughter's high-profile marriage. I nodded absently. "That sounds lovely."

Adam continued, "I think it could be perfect. Pauline has already started looking into venues. And, considering the business deal with Luke, I think we should invite him. It could help solidify our partnership."

My heart sank at the mention of Luke. The thought of him witnessing my marriage to Adam was unbearable. "I'm not sure that's a good idea," I said quickly. "Wouldn't it be more professional to keep our personal lives separate from business?"

Adam raised an eyebrow, clearly surprised by my resistance. "Why do you think that? It's not uncommon to invite business associates to personal events. It shows a level of trust and camaraderie. Besides, Luke seemed perfectly amiable last night."

I swallowed hard, searching for a plausible reason to dissuade him without revealing my true feelings. "I just think... it might be awkward for him. He might feel out of place at such an intimate event."

"Nonsense," Adam replied firmly. "Luke is a professional. He understands the importance of this deal. Inviting him to the wedding would be a gesture of goodwill. It shows that we value our partnership."

I could see there was no swaying him. Adam had made up his mind, and when it came to business, he was unyielding.

The prospect of Luke being present at my wedding filled me with dread, but I had no choice but to submit. "If you think it's best, then I suppose we should invite him."

"Good," Adam said, satisfied. "I'll have Pauline add him to the guest list. Now, let's talk about the wedding details. Pauline has some amazing ideas for the ceremony."

We met Pauline in the drawing room and I sank into a plush velvet armchair.

My limbs and mind were sore from last nights champagne.

I was fairly sure I had a hangover.

Pauline sat on the chaise opposite me,looking every bit the regal,composed woman I was not.

She looked at me with actual toleration this time.

Getting there I suppose.

As Adam outlined the plans, my mind wandered. The thought of a destination wedding in Thailand should have excited me, but instead, it felt like another layer of the prison my life had become.

Each elaborate detail, each grand gesture, was a reminder of the life I was being forced into—a life devoid of genuine love and happiness.

The rest of the day passed in a blur of wedding preparations. Pauline arrived with a mountain of brochures and mood boards, her enthusiasm almost contagious.

Almost.

She described the breathtaking venues in Thailand—the lush gardens, the serene beaches, the luxurious resorts. It was everything my parents had ever dreamed of for me, but nothing I truly wanted.

As Pauline droned on about floral arrangements and seating charts, I couldn't shake the image of Luke from my mind. His presence at the wedding would be a constant reminder of what I had lost, a painful juxtaposition to the facade of perfection I was being forced to maintain.

That evening, as I sat alone in the drawing room, I replayed the dinner conversation in my head.

Luke had been polite, engaging even, but there was an unspoken tension between us. Did he still remember our time together?

Not that I cared,of course not.

Adam entered the room. He sat beside me, taking my hand in his. "Iris, I know this wedding planning is stressful, but it's important for us. For our families. For the future we're building together."

I nodded, forcing another smile. "I understand, Adam. I just... I want everything to be perfect."

"It will be," he assured me. "With Pauline's help, it will be the wedding of the year."

I knew he was right in the practical sense, but the emotional cost was becoming too high. I felt like I was losing myself in this elaborate charade, a puppet in a show I had no desire to star in.

As I lay in bed that night, the weight of the impending wedding pressed down on me. The thought of walking down the aisle towards Adam, with Luke watching, was almost too much to bear. I had to find a way to reconcile my past with my present, to navigate the treacherous waters of duty and desire.

For now, all I could do was prepare for the inevitable, hoping that somewhere along the way, I would find a glimmer of hope, a path to a future where I could be true to myself. But as the days counted down to the wedding, that hope seemed increasingly out of reach, buried beneath layers of expectation and obligation.