Happiness

Luke

The resort was a slice of paradise, the kind of place I'd only ever seen in glossy travel magazines.

As I stood on the balcony of my suite, looking out over the pristine beach and the turquoise waters of the Andaman Sea, I couldn't help but feel a pang of disbelief.

I had arrived at the resort the previous evening, still disoriented from the long flight and the whirlwind of emotions that had brought me here.

Iris's wedding was just weeks away, and despite my best efforts to steel myself, the thought of her marrying someone else – especially Adam Sinclair – was like a knife twisting in my gut.

The resort was sprawling, with manicured gardens, infinity pools, and private bungalows. Every detail was meticulously designed to convey luxury and exclusivity.

It was a place where people came to forget their troubles, to bask in the lap of luxury. But for me, it was a pretty little lie, a constant reminder of the life Iris had chosen, or rather, the life that had been chosen for her.

After a restless,sleepless night replaying our conversation yesterday, I decided to explore the resort. Maybe some activity would help clear my mind.

I wandered through the lush gardens, the scent of tropical flowers heavy in the air. I found myself at the spa, where guests were being pampered with massages and facials. It was all so surreal, so different from the hectic life I knew.

Eventually, I made my way to the beach. The sand was soft and warm beneath my feet, and the sound of the waves was soothing. I walked along the shore, letting the rhythm of the ocean calm my racing thoughts.

But no matter how far I walked, I couldn't escape the memories of Iris.

We had been so young, so naive. High school sweethearts with dreams of a future together. But those dreams had been crushed by the harsh reality of her parents' demands. They had threatened my family, leaving me no choice but to walk away from the girl I loved.

It had been the hardest decision I had ever made and I knew she would hate me for it.

I couldn't blame her.

As I walked back towards the resort, I spotted a small café nestled among the palm trees. It looked like a good place to sit and gather my thoughts.

I ordered a coffee and found a quiet table with a view of the ocean. The café was relatively empty, just a few other guests scattered around.

I was halfway through my coffee when I saw her. Iris. She was sitting at a table near the edge of the café, staring out at the sea. Her hair was pulled back in a loose ponytail tucked under a wide rimmed straw hat, she was wearing a simple golden sundress that fluttered in the breeze. She looked so serene, so beautiful, it took my breath away.

For a moment, I considered slipping away before she noticed me. But then, as if sensing my presence, she turned her head and our eyes met. Her expression shifted from surprise to something else—something that looked a lot like longing.

I stood up, my legs feeling unsteady, and made my way over to her table. "Iris," I said softly, hoping my voice didn't betray the turmoil inside me.

"Luke," she replied, a faint smile tugging on her lips. "Your stalking me now ?"

I couldn't tell whether she was angry or sarcastic.

Probably both.

"I guess it's fate love."

She wrinkled her nose,"doesn't call me that."

"Whatever you say love."

She playfully punched my arm.

This woman was all I ever wanted,kind and funny and beautiful too.

So I felt suddenly serious.

"I are you truly happy with that guy,Adam I mean"

She hesitated,"he's a great guy,he could give a great future but ... "she shook her head. "No, Luke, I'm not. I don't love him. I don't think I ever could."

Her words hit me like a punch to the gut. "Then why go through with it?"

"It's not that simple," she said, her voice tinged with frustration. "You know how my parents are. They control everything. My life, my future. If I go against them..."

She trailed off, but I knew what she meant. I had felt the weight of their influence myself, years ago. "But what about your happiness? Doesn't that matter?"

She looked up at me. "Of course it matters. But sometimes we don't get to choose, Luke. Sometimes life makes the choices for us."

I could feel the bitterness in her words,the hidden meaning.

We sat in silence for a moment, the sound of the waves and the chatter of other guests fading into the background.

I reached out and took her hand, feeling the familiar warmth of her skin. "Iris, if there's anything I can do—"

She snatched her hand away like I was made of lava.

"We can't keep doing this Luke,you left me all by myself in that,that madhouse."

Her words stung, but I knew she was right.I had no right try and be in her life after all this time . Still, the thought of leaving her to a loveless marriage was almost too much to bear.

I watched her walk away, a part of me wishing she would turn around and run back into my arms.

But of course she didn't. And as I walked back to my suite, the weight of our past and the uncertainty of our future pressed heavily on my heart. The resort, with all its luxury and beauty, felt like a hollow shell, a stark contrast to the emptiness I felt inside.