Obssesion

Iris

The night of the rehearsal dinner arrived with a mix of anticipation and dread.

The resort's ballroom had been transformed into a breathtaking scene, adorned with elegant floral arrangements and twinkling fairy lights. It was a perfect setting for what should have been a joyous occasion.

Yet, a gnawing unease lingered in my chest.

It had been 2 days of silence from Arabella and 4 from Luke.

Why was he avoiding me,had I done something wrong?

Maybe he just realised it was hopeless after all.

As I walked into the room, a sea of faces turned to greet me. Friends and family smiled warmly, offering compliments and congratulations.

I plastered on a smile, but my heart wasn't in it. My thoughts were consumed by Luke and the way he had been avoiding me ever since that day at the lagoon.

I scanned the crowd, finally spotting him by the bar, looking undeniably handsome in a tailored suit,raven hair tousled and combed.

He was talking to someone, but his blue eyes looked distant, troubled. I felt a pang of frustration and sadness.

What had changed between us?

Why was he pulling away?

Adam's voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Iris, you look absolutely stunning tonight," he said, his arm slipping around my waist in a possessive gesture.

"Thank you, Adam," I replied, forcing a smile. "Everything looks beautiful."

He smiled, clearly pleased with himself. "Only the best for my bride-to-be." He tapped his glass gently with a spoon, calling for attention.

"Ladies and gentlemen," Adam began, his voice commanding the room's attention. "Thank you all for being here to celebrate this special occasion. Iris and I are so grateful to have our closest friends and family with us as we prepare for our wedding. I'd like to propose a toast to my beautiful fiancée, Iris Kensington."

He turned to me, his eyes filled with pride and hunger. "Iris, you are my dream come true, the woman I've always wanted. I promise to cherish and protect you, to give you everything you could ever need or desire. Here's to our future together."

Everyone raised their glasses and echoed his toast, but a shiver ran down my spine. I took a sip of champagne, my eyes drifting back to Luke. I needed to talk to him, to understand why he had been so distant.

As the evening wore on, I mingled with guests, thanking them for coming and making small talk, but my mind was always on Luke.

Finally, I saw an opportunity to slip away and approach him.

"Luke," I hissed grabbing his arm. He turned to me, surprise and apprehension flickering in his eyes.

"Iris," he replied, his voice tense. "I can't talk to you here,not now."

"Fine then," I said, my heart pounding. "Can we talk? Somewhere private?"

He hesitated, glancing around the room as if looking for an escape, but finally nodded. "Alright."

We made our way out of the ballroom and onto the terrace, away from the prying eyes and ears of the other guests. The night air was cool and refreshing, a stark contrast to the stifling atmosphere inside.

"Why have you been avoiding me?" I asked, unable to keep the hurt out of my voice. "Did I do something wrong?"

Luke sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Of course not love,you could never do anything wrong ."

I crossed my arms, frustration bubbling up inside me. "I don't understand, Luke. We were fine, and then suddenly you're distant, avoiding me like the plague. Please, just tell me what's going on."

He looked away, his jaw clenched. "I can't."

"Why not?" I demanded, my voice rising. "We've always been honest with each other. What changed?"

He was silent for a long moment, the struggle evident on his face. Finally, he turned back to me, his eyes filled with pain.

"Adam knows about our past," he said quietly. "He hired a private investigator and found out about us."

My heart skipped a beat. "What? How?"

Luke shook his head. "I don't know how, but he confronted me about it. He threatened me, Iris. He said if I didn't stay away, he would hurt you."

A cold wave of fear washed over me. "Hurt me? How?"

"He didn't go into specifics," Luke replied, his voice tight with anger. "But I believe him. He's obsessed with you, Iris. He sees you as his possession, and he'll do anything to keep you."

I stared at him, my mind racing. "Why didn't you tell me this sooner?"

"Because I didn't want to scare you," he said, his eyes filled with anguish. "I thought if I distanced myself, he might back off. But I can't just stand by and let him control you like this."

Tears welled up in my eyes as the reality of the situation sank in. "What are we going to do?"

Luke took a step closer, his expression determined. "We need to find a way to expose him, to show everyone who he really is. But we have to be careful. If he suspects anything, he might follow through on his threats."

I nodded, my mind a whirlwind of emotions. "I can't believe this is happening. I thought... I thought I was doing the right thing."

"You were," Luke said gently, taking my hands in his. "You were trying to do what was best for everyone. But now we have to focus on what's best for you. We'll figure this out, Iris. I promise."

As we stood there, the weight of our predicament pressing down on us, I felt a surge of gratitude for Luke's unwavering support. Despite everything, he was here for me, willing to risk his own safety to protect me.

"Thank you, Luke," I whispered, squeezing his hands. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You won't have to find out," he replied, his voice steady and reassuring. "We're in this together."

We returned to the ballroom, our minds racing with plans and possibilities. The rehearsal dinner continued, but it was hard to focus on the festivities with the knowledge of Adam's threats hanging over us.

As the evening drew to a close, Adam pulled me aside, his eyes filled with possessive intensity. "Are you alright, darling? You seemed a bit distant tonight."

"I'm fine," I replied, forcing a smile. "Just a bit overwhelmed with everything."

He nodded, seemingly satisfied with my answer. "Then get some rest doll,I'll see you in bed."

"I will," I said, my heart pounding. "Goodnight, Adam."

"Goodnight, Iris," he replied, kissing my cheek.