Horizon

Iris

Dappled sunlight shone on his windswept raven hair as Luke expertly navigated Phuket's  winding open roads.

I laughed as yet another gust of wind slapped my tanned cheeks a shade of bright pink

I felt carefree and light I in a way I only felt around Luke.

And didn't he know it,he kept cracking the corniest jokes and trying out his worst pick up lines in an attempt to make me smile.

The boy was nothing if not charming.

The distant promise of cities and lush fields stretched out before us, a  small taste of
freedom.

The things Luke and I had endured and pain we had been through seemed almost laughable,almost forgettable in this tropical new land

After about an hour, we stopped at a bustling local market. The vibrant stalls overflowed with exotic fruits,spices,colourful textiles, and the enticing aroma of street food.

I stepped out of the SUV, inhaling deeply, savoring the sense of normalcy and life that surrounded us.

As we wandered through the market, my eyes caught sight of a young girl sitting by the side of the road, her clothes tattered and her hazel eyes hollow.

She held out a small wooden bowl, hoping for some change from the passersby. My heart ached for her,So I approached a nearby stall selling delicious smelling skewers of grilled meat and fresh fruit. I bought a generous portion and walked back to the girl, kneeling down to hand her the food.

"Here you go," I said softly, offering her a smile. Her eyes widened with surprise and gratitude as she took the food, murmuring her thanks in Thai.

"What's your name?"

"Doe."

"That's a beautiful name Doe."

Luke watched the exchange, his expression unreadable. As we walked away, he finally spoke. "You've always had a kind heart, Iris. I'm not surprised you'd do something like that."

I shrugged, feeling a bit self-conscious. "I try to help where I can. I'm involved with several charities back in the States. It's one of the few things that makes me feel like I'm making a difference."

"Tell me about them," he urged, his genuine interest evident.

I blush, surprised but pleased. "I work with an organization that provides educational resources to underprivileged children. We fund scholarships, build schools, and provide supplies. It's fulfilling, knowing I can help give these kids a chance at a better future."

Luke smiled, a touch of admiration in his eyes. "That's incredible, Iris. You've always wanted to make a difference. I'm glad you found a way to do it."

For some reason my heart fluttered.

We continued to explore the market, sampling various delicacies and picking up a few souvenirs.

Luke burst out laughing when I ate a bowl of soup and then promptly started howling my face as red as a tomato and tongue on fire.

"Luke you little ..."I said,wanting to throttle him.

"What it's kinda funny."

"Was not."

"just a teeny bit"

"Urghhh."

The tension between us eased slightly, replaced by a sense of camaraderie. It felt almost like old times, before everything had become so complicated.