Shadows

Luke

The days following my confrontation with Adam were some of the hardest I had ever faced.

The idea of distancing myself from Iris was a bitter pill to swallow, but Adam's threat loomed over me like a dark cloud.

I couldn't bear the thought of her getting hurt because of me.

I kept to myself, avoiding the usual spots where I knew Iris might be.

The resort suddenly felt suffocating, every corner hiding a memory or a chance encounter I needed to avoid. The beautiful surroundings, which once seemed like a paradise, now felt like a gilded cage.

On the first morning, I took breakfast in my room, eating half-heartedly a croissant while staring out at the ocean.

My phone buzzed with messages from my sister,friends and business associates, but nothing from Iris.

Part of me was relieved—if she wasn't reaching out, it meant she was safe, at least for the moment.

The morning was spent on calls and emails, a desperate attempt to immerse myself in work and distract from the gnawing anxiety.

But it was impossible to concentrate. Every time I closed my eyes, I saw her laughing face and dancing eyes when we last spoke.

That afternoon, I decided to visit the gym. The physical exertion helped clear my mind, the rhythmic pounding of my feet on the treadmill a welcome distraction.

As I finished my workout, I caught a glimpse of Iris entering the spa with her mother. I quickly turned away, pretending to be engrossed in adjusting my shoelaces.

I knew I couldn't avoid her forever, but seeing her with her mother, a woman who had been so complicit in orchestrating Iris's engagement to Adam, made my blood boil.

The idea of her being trapped in a life dictated by others' expectations was unbearable.

Later that evening, I joined some of Adam's business associates for dinner, trying to maintain a semblance of normalcy. The restaurant was upscale, filled with the hum of conversation and clinking glasses. I made polite conversation, laughed at the appropriate moments, and pretended everything was fine.

In reality, every fiber of my being was focused on staying away from Iris, ensuring that Adam's threats didn't come to fruition. The evening dragged on, each minute feeling like an hour. I was painfully aware of the empty seat beside me, wishing Iris could be there without any of the complications.

By the time I returned to my room, exhaustion had settled in. I collapsed onto the bed, staring at the ceiling. The weight of the situation pressed down on me, but I knew I had to stay strong.

For Iris.

The next morning, I decided to take a long walk along the beach, hoping the fresh air would clear my mind.

The waves crashed rhythmically against the shore, the salty breeze a brief respite from my tangled thoughts.

I kept my distance from the main resort areas, sticking to the quieter stretches of sand where I was less likely to run into anyone.

As I walked, I reflected on my time with Iris, the moments we had shared both in the past and more recently.

I remembered the fury in her eyes as she thrashed about in lagoon and the joy on her face when she gave food to Doe.

When she laughed, the warmth of her smile, the way she made me feel alive. The thought of losing that was unbearable, but I had to remind myself of the bigger picture.