quince

The two of them stared at each other with narrowed eyes, tension crackling in the air

The two of them stared at each other with narrowed eyes, tension crackling in the air. I clutched the silencer tightly, repeating the same words over and over in my head like a broken record. My life was already chaotic, and now I found myself hiding the most important person in the Italian mafia. The fucking mafia.

"I need to fucking sit," I muttered, collapsing onto the couch. I tried to ignore their intense gazes, but my mind was consumed with the thought of my doom. If anything went wrong with this crazy plan to help the don's wife escape, I knew my days were numbered.

I'd always understood that death was inevitable, but I had hoped to meet it peacefully in old age, succumbing to natural causes. Now, those dreams seemed laughable. The reality was that I was going to die, and it would be at the hands of the fucking mafia.

The debtors and now the mafia, why do I fucking attract trouble?

"Mrs. Vitale, you need to leave now with me. Mr. Gianni is downstairs with the car, waiting for you," Levi commanded, completely ignoring me as he focused solely on getting Manelle out of the house. I was staring death in the face, and all he cared about was escorting her to safety. At least he was trying to buy me some time before my inevitable end.

Manelle looked at me, her eyes filled with guilt, and then she did something unexpected—she walked over and knelt on the ground before me. What the fuck is she doing?

"I'm so sorry—" she began, her voice trembling with regret.

"Get up, get up." I grabbed her shoulders and pulled her to her feet, panic surging through me. What if her husband saw this? His wife begging for my forgiveness—there would be no quick death for me. He would torture me before finally killing me.

Levi approached and sat next to me as I guided her to the couch. My anxiety spiked, and I rested my elbows on my knees, burying my face in my hands.

"I'm going to die," I said slowly, the reality sinking in. I realized I only had a few hours left before the end.

"You're not going to die, Venezia." My eyes snapped to the person who spoke, and I glared at him. He stared back at me blankly, unbothered. He wasn't the one hiding the don's wife—that was all on me, done without knowing who she really was.

"What the fuck happened to your face?" He asked calmly, sending a chill down my spine. Levi never yelled, he was the kind of guy who let his fists do the talking and the eyes intimidating them, leaving his victims drenched in their own blood. A cold-blooded killer, typically.

"Don't worry about it. I killed them." Manelle interjected, a grin spreading across her face. I swallowed hard and stood up to face them both. Levi had left a space between himself and her, and I couldn't understand why. The tension was unbearable, and I felt the weight of my mistake pressing down on me.