dieciséis

Today's menu was steak, sweet potatoes, lettuce, and caviar for starters, and lastly, lots of anxiety

My hands were sweaty from the intense tension at the table. Even the waiters noticed and tried hard not to mess up the orders, afraid of making a mistake. The two people here would react violently, and I've seen enough close calls to be scared.

It's ironic that Levi is scarier than Rafael, the leader of the Spanish mafia. Enzo, who talks a lot, said this brunch was to gain allies and information for someone else.

I get why this meeting is important, but why do I need to be here?

"You went to Italy to get married?" Levi asked the don, who paused feeding Manelle. It seemed childish, but it was natural for everyone to see this kind of gesture. I know that if Levi did that to me, I would stab his eyes with my fork.

"Correct. Then this woman had the audacity to leave me." He glared at Manelle, who looked away and took a few bites from the plate they were sharing. I was shocked by his comment, and the don noticed my grimace.

"Do you have a problem?" he asked me. I shook my head quickly, even though I wanted to say, "Yes, you are the problem," but that would only hasten my death.

"How did you manage to hide her from me?"

"I didn't hide her from you!" I replied instinctively. Everyone stopped eating and looked at me. Levi just held his wine glass, focusing on the wine.

Fucker.

"Lower your voice when answering me," the don said calmly but with authority. Before Levi could say something, I stepped in.

"Maybe you should think about how you treat your wife. She wouldn't leave you if you treated her right." I retorted, making him clench his fist. He pulled out the gun from his waistband and pointed it at me. I stared at it, trying to keep my breathing calm.

"Well, Levi. Your girl is very courageous, quella lingua le sarà tagliata." He chuckled while holding the gun at me. Levi stared at him blankly. (That tongue of hers will be cut off.)

I only understood "lingua," which means tongue. I'm pretty sure he threatened to cut my tongue off or something.

"Que te jodan, gilipollas." (Fuck you, bastard.) Only the Spanish people present understood since it's a word we use here often.

"Are we going to use our languages to insult each other? I find that pathetic," the don remarked as he rubbed his lips with his pointer finger.

"Let's stop and eat," Manelle interjected, trying to soothe the tension, but between two egotistical people, it's impossible.

"You're right, I should stop hiding behind my language to express myself... I will tell you what I think." Levi leaned forward, resting his hands under his chin with his elbows propped on the table.