56

March 22, 2025

Iris pov

Five years earlier

ever since I've hurt myself, everything has changed. Caitlin is always insisting on being around me. I'm not complaining too much, though. she's my favorite person.

I lay in bed and the clock reads 09:33

I rub my eyes and stand up out of bed.

I pick my sweatshirt up off the floor and put it on. I don't care if it's the middle of June, I can't let my parents see.

I hear a knock on my door. "come in!" I say.

"hi, baby," my mom says.

"hi," I smile.

"guess what we're doing today," she says.

"protesting for what should be basic human rights?" I guess.

"no, we're doing that next week," she laughs. "we're going to Adventureland!"

"yay!" I jump.

short sleeves.

"the monster opened last year and we still haven't gone," she says.

"yeah," I say.

"do you want to go?" she asks.

"of course!" I assure. "I'm excited!"

"good," she smiles.

After my mom leave I turn around panicked.

fuck. what am I going to wear?

"mom!" I shout as I crack my door a bit. "what's the weather like today?"

"it's supposed to be 85!" she shouts back.

"thanks!"

definitely not long sleeved weather.

I look around frantically for anything, literally anything to wear that'll cover my cuts.

it's been a week, but they are still very visible.

I put on a pair of Jean shorts and a black tank, crop top. the tank top shows a good amount of cleavage. Adventureland is where the hoes are.

I walk over to my desk and grab concealer and foundation. the cuts haven't fully closed so it kind of stings when I dab it onto them.

once I've covered it up enough to the point where I think they won't see it, I put my hair into bubble braids.

"ready!" I say once I've come down the stairs.

"CAITLIN!!" my dad yells.

"I'm coming!" she yells. "jeez!"

she runs down the stairs in a pair of dowling basketball shorts and a tight black tank top. her hair is up in her everyday ponytail.

"you look like you're going to practice," my mom points out.

"cool," she shrugs.

absolutely no way this girl is straight.

we walk out the door and get in the car.

after about ten minutes of driving my mom turns around. "I forgot to tell you that I grabbed a swimsuit for you, Iris."

"okay," I reply. "thanks."

we get to the amusement park and ride a bunch of rides.

"Caitlin," I whisper to her while we're in line for the monster. our parents are getting slushies.