A Chance Meeting

It is said that no matter how long you take to dress up or how much you practice any skill, you can never beat the beauty or grace of a vampire. At Lord Nightingale's welcome home ball, I experienced that reality. It had everything one could wish for: good food, music, and wine. The only crime was that I had overindulged myself. Feeling hot, I snapped open my fan and fanned myself. The low lights and the lateness of the night made it hard for me to focus.

I fought down a yawn and scanned the ballroom. The group of women and men surrounding tonight's star was impossible to ignore. I couldn't get a good glimpse of Lord Nightingale nor get close enough to greet him. Leaving before the host arrived would be considered rude.

"Lady Stark," an unwelcomed voice called out. "I knew I saw you come in."

Plastering a smile on my face, I turned to Lord Sanders. He sauntered over with a glass of wine and smelling too much of alcohol.

"Good evening," I said politely. "Did you come with Lady Mare?"

I covered my lower face with my fan lest my smile faltered.

"Unfortunately, she couldn't attend tonight." He took a step closer. "My fiancé was under the weather so she couldn't attend. You understand."

"I'm sure she must have been disappointed," I said, slightly moving away.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much room to go anywhere else. I had trapped myself between a pillar and the wall.

"I don't see Lord Stark around," he continued. "Nor Lord Hamlet. Did you come here alone?"

Despite knowing my brother and my suitor, he still had the gall to speak to me. I glanced at his attire trying to find something to divert his attention. The Sanders household knew how to take care of its own despite the lack of new seasonal attire lately. Luckily, Lord Sanders was known throughout town and his habits were easily spotted.

"Oh my!" I said. "Lord Sanders perhaps it's best if you stepped out for a moment."

At his puzzled look, I continued, "It seems like your festivities got the best of you. Some of your indulgences seem to have gotten on your collar."

Lord Sanders slapped his neck, his eyes widening. "E-excuse me," he muttered and hurried off.

I turned away, trying to hide my smirk when I almost bumped into Lady Jean. Coming from a merchant family, her last season's dress sparkled beautifully underneath the chandelier light. I shifted uncomfortably. Perhaps she wouldn't notice that my dress had been repurposed for tonight.

"Was that Lord Sanders?" she asked, with her fake smile.

Lady Mare must have sent her to keep an eye on her fiancé.

"Was it?" I asked. "I hardly noticed."

"It's a shame the star of the ball is being kept from us," Lady Jean continued.

"It's his first ball since being discharged," I said, "I'm sure everyone is thrilled to see him."

Lady Jean's smile stretched a little too thin. "They forget themselves," she said. "Such behavior is shameful."

"Or they could be ecstatic to hear how he saved all those soldiers," I retorted. "But you will have to excuse me, Lady Jean, I must attend to something."

Lord Nightingale was a war hero. He led his small band of soldiers to rescue another unit. Many family members of that unit had attended tonight. It was only natural to show their gratitude.

Pivoting to my left, I headed towards the ballroom doors. A handful of humans were still present in the ballroom but most had gone to rest or left altogether. Most humans wouldn't stay past two in the morning and judging but how exhausted I felt, it was time to go home. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised if Charles called for me to return. My brother could be quite the worry-wort.