10

Amelia woke to find her husband gone, she turned and rubbed the unoccupied white pillow as she smiled softly.

The events of the night prior in thought.

She smiled as she remembered the pleasure they had shared, she never thought marriage to be this... pleasurable, she never thought she would even have that feeling.

Nonetheless she did and she happily rang the bell for the maids and servants to draw her a bath and pick out her outfit for the day.

After bathing and dressing in a baby pink dress, Amelia walked with a skip through the corridors, "Brimsley, where is the King? Is he out on a ride, perhaps he went on a walk. We shall hold breakfast for him, we will eat together."

Brimsley looked down, took a deep breath and looked up to the Queen, "I umm, I do not think he has gone out your majesty. I believe he has a visitor."

"Visitor? Where?"

Brimsley pointed to the nearby room, the door was ajar and Amelia made her way towards it, "Stay" she said and Brimsley awaited her.

She slightly pushed the door open so that she might hear but still remain unnoticed. From inside the room, Princess Augusta stood with George.

"Do not make me ask the question" Augusta took her son as George walked passed her, "I am not making you ask. This is none of your business nor is it your marriage."

"Your marriage is palace business. Your marriage is Parliament business. Your marriage is the business of this country George! This cannot go wrong, I need to know if your have properly bedded her, the Crown-"

"You told me I had to wed for the Crown, I have done so. You told me to charm her to make it easier for the Crown and I have done my best. You told me I could not let her know me because I have to protect the secrets of the Crown, I have not. You told me to bed her and I have done as you asked! It has been abundantly clear since my first breath that I was born for the happiness and the misery of a great nation and consequences must often act contrary to my passions. I am the picture of duty. The Crown resides inside me, embedded like a knife! You do not need to explain it to me mother, it is me!"

Tears prickled Amelia's eyes, she truly thought he changed but he didn't, he was only doing what his mother asked him to, not because he cared for her.

She swallowed a lump in her throat and turned to Brimsley, "I think I would like to have breakfast now, the king can eat later."

As Amelia sat and ate, George walked into the room, a smile on his face, like he did not just have an argument with his mother, "Good morning."

Amelia did not want to be in his presence and abruptly stood up, "Where are you going?"

"Is that what I am to you? Someone you can just sleep with, not because you wanted to but because your little old mother told you to" Amelia's words were sharp as they rang in George's ears.

"You heard."

"Well perhaps you should try whispering if you want no one to hear. I thought you changed George, I thought you had finally begun to care for me but you don't, you never did."

"Amelia" George said taking a step closer but Amelia took a step back, "We will perform our duties and produce a heir. We are the crown and the crown comes before all, does it not?"

George sighed, "Very well then, every even day we will do our duty and try to conceive a heir."

"Seems reasonable enough".

"Every even day."

"Every even day."