16

Distance. The thing both Amelia and George were doing, thought Amelia did not like it, she wanted to be with him, to he near him, to tell him she was pregnant.

However when she arrived home a week ago, she was surprised to find George, gone, no trace of him and when she asked Brimsley where he had gone all he could say was.

"Back to Kew your majesty. He told everyone he needed distance."

Amelia didn't argue with that, rather she accepted it quickly, yet internally she was screaming.

She wrote letters to him every night, telling him she missed him, that she wanted to be with him. She even wrote about her day and what they would do once he returns.

Now she found herself wandering in the garden, wheat, everywhere. She hoped to somehow be closer to George here, in the garden but it didn't work.

She walked around, looking at the ripe veggies, she turned around to face Brimsley, "Have all the vegetables harvested and given to the poor."

"Right away, your majesty."

A guard approached Brimsley and whispered something, "What is it? Is George back?" Amelia asked hoping George would he back, "No your majesty, the king is still at Kew."

Amelia sighed and turned away, "Well then what is it?"

"The Dowager Princess-"

"What does she want now?"

"She arrives with Lord Bute."

"And what of it?"

"Um. They have brought with them tue royal physician."

Amelia rolled her eyes and stormed into the castle, making her way to the drawing room, where Augusta was awaiting her.

"Princess Augusta, such an unexpected visit, with Lord Bute. Why are you in my house?" Amelia raised an eyebrow at the princess, "We have brought-"

"I know what that is, my question was why have you arrived" Amelia crossed her arms, "The crown expects you to he with child. So we will check if you are with child."

"And if I refuse?"

"Then we will have the guards strap you down" Amelia chuckled and rolled her eyes, "I'm the queen you cannot do that. I think I will see the physician. But you-"

She pointed to Lord Bute, "-ard staying here. Let us go."

****

Amelia laid upon her bed, the physician doing whatever he needed to find out if she was with child. She knew long ago she was pregnant, the moment she missed her monthly, she already knew.

"You are taking a long time" Augusta stated and Amelia rolled her eyes for what felt like the thousandth time.

"I am precise."

After hearing a metal clanking, the physician turned around and faced Augusta, "She is with child."

"It is done? Are you certain?"

"There can be no doubt."

"Doubts are the better part of a woman's insides. But you are sure as you can be?"

"Oh, quite sure. In fact, her majesty is quite far along. Making magnificent progress."

Amelia sighed, the doctor removed his metal instrument and Amelia lowered the skirts of her dress, "Can we announce?" She heard Lord Bute ask as he walked into the chamber.

"Not until the quickening. When will that be?"

"Before the month is done, I would expect" the physician turned around and smiled to the queen, "Congratulations your majesty "

"Thank good doctor. You are dismissed" the doctor bowed his head and begun packing up his things, "I will have my things moved over to Buckingham house at once."

Amelia quickly sat up, "Why?"

"You carry the Crown. Your safety is most important. I shall not leave you alone for a moment."

Amelia scoffed, "There are guards posted at every door, every room. Brimsley follows me everywhere, I think I am quite safe, I do not need you. You will not move to Buckingham house."

"If I will not move then I must visit every day. To check if you are well, if the crown is well."

"You just assume my baby will be a boy."

"If it is a girl, you will try again. Try until you have a boy."

Amelia scoffed and fell back onto her bed.