p r o l o g u e

Evelyn Miller wasn't like everyone else. She was always considered 'the weird one' because of her eyes.

Heterochromia wasn't exactly the most common thing in the sixties, let alone heterochromia as noticeable as hers. Her right eye was a chocolate brown and her left was a crystal blue.

She was born and raised in Oxford, England, by her father and stepmother, who wasn't as kind as she seemed. Evelyn was an only child and her mother had died in childbirth. Her father was an incredible man, the best she could ever ask for and he always took the best care of her.

Her stepmother, however, despised the girl. Evelyn was never really sure why, she hadn't done anything wrong and neither had her father, but from the moment the two had met, the older woman had hated her future stepdaughter.

It never mattered what she did, how many breakfasts and dinners she made, Penelope always hated her. Evelyn's father, Thomas, had no knowledge of his wife's abuse on his only child.

In 1947, he went on a business trip to Paris, when Evelyn was only fifteen, and the man never returned. They found out two months later that he and his friend had been involved in a fatal car accident, neither of the men surviving.

Evelyn and Penelope had been distraught and somehow, Penelope found a way to blame her stepdaughter for Thomas' death. And that was when things shifted from the verbal hatred to the physical hatred. Evelyn was stuck in that house with her stepmother for three years before she could legally leave but even then, Penelope didn't let her.

She kept her inside, forced her to do everything for her except the shopping, Penelope did that herself.

After twenty-two years of physical and mental abuse, the now twenty-five year old Evelyn ran away in the middle of the night, staying either at a friend's house or sleeping over in the back rooms of bars.

She wasn't much of a drinker but her friend, William, happened to own a bar inside Oxford University and often times let her stay in the back storage room, where they had managed to get a small mattress for the woman.

But, as she had discovered in 1940, when she was only eight years of age, her eyes weren't the only thing that made her 'different'. She had an ability, a mutation.

She told no one about her ability, not even her father while he was still alive, because she was convinced she would shunned from society, beaten and or murdered.

So she stayed silent, hidden amongst the crowd, getting a job at William's bar so she could start getting her own food and clothes rather than relying on William for everything.

And one night, in 1962, a face she didn't recognise showed up at the bar, and he was the most intriguing thing she had ever laid eyes on. And he would take her on the journey of a lifetime.

 And he would take her on the journey of a lifetime

This is how I imagine Evelyn to look like!

And this is another version! Obviously, if you want to imagine her differently then that's fine!