t e n

Evelyn opened her eyes slowly, squinting at the sunlight that seemed to be perfectly hitting her eyes. "Oh, what the fuck" she stretched, covering her eyes as she yawned. She sat up, a frown on her face as she looked at the unfamiliar room and bed she was currently in and she blinked confusedly.

She could've sworn she fell asleep in the library.

"Ah, good morning" a voice startled her and she looked to the door, seeing Charles leaning against the doorframe with his hands in his pockets. "Morning" she smiled. "How-how did I get here?" she asked and Charles blushed slightly.

"You fell asleep in the library and you looked rather uncomfortable" Charles replied. "So you brought me to your room?" she asked, smirking slightly. "I couldn't remember which was yours and I didn't want to leave you in a random room" Charles explained.

"Well, thank you" she smiled, getting out of his bed and tucking the quilt back in. "Wait, where did you sleep?" she asked as she ran a hand through her hair. "In the room next door" Charles said and Evelyn narrowed her eyes.

"You didn't sleep. Did you?" she assumed. "Of course I did" he nodded and she simply raised an eyebrow. "Alright, I was awake all night" he conceded and she chuckled. "Let me guess, working on training plans?" she asked.

"Potentially" he smirked and she shook her head. "How did it go?" she asked as she walked up to him. "It went quite well. I've managed to come up with training ideas for everyone except you" he nodded.

"You don't need to train me, Charles. I have control of my mutation" she smiled, patting him on the shoulder before they both walked down the hallway. They walked in silence but Evelyn could tell something was on his mind.

"Is everything okay?" she asked, a slight frown on her face. "I'm sorry?" Charles looked at her, clearly not paying attention. "I asked if everything was okay but clearly it's not. What's wrong?" she asked, turning so she was standing in front of him.

"Last night, when I found you in the library, you were having a nightmare" Charles explained. "Okay..." she trailed off. "I entered your mind because I was going to alter what you were seeing so it was a peaceful dream but I got...stuck" he continued.

"You watched my nightmare?" she asked. "I didn't mean to and I am so sorry that I did" he said quietly. "It's okay" she breathed, looking down. "Just a memory, right?" she smiled sadly and Charles frowned. "So it was a memory" he said.

"You didn't know it was?" she asked. "I had my suspicions but the mind is capable of creating all sorts of things" Charles nodded. "The first part of the nightmare? With the uh, the glass? That was my twentieth birthday. And the second part, that was Christmas Day 1947, when I was fifteen" Evelyn explained. "I'm sorry about your father" Charles said after a moment.

"What about the third part?" he asked. "There was a third part? I don't remember it" she said softly. "You were in your room and your stepmother came in. She yelled at you for eating and then put in a...closet?" Charles explained slowly and Evelyn nodded. "March 17th 1948. My sixteenth birthday" Evelyn mumbled, her eyes drifting down to the floor.

"Who are we training today?" Evelyn changed the subject. "I believe Hank has finished Sean's suit so we'll be able to test that theory" Charles said. "Sounds like a plan" she replied but Charles heard the crack in her voice.

"I am always here if you want to talk, Eve" Charles spoke, placing a hand on her shoulder. Evelyn said nothing, instead just surging forwards and wrapping her arms around Charles.

He didn't hesitate to hug the woman back, rubbing her back softly as his chin rested atop her head. "Thank you" she breathed. As the two of them stood there, Evelyn could tell that Charles needed this hug just as much as she did.