t w o

"The advent of the nuclear age may have accelerated the mutation process" Charles explained as he looked at all the people in the room. Evelyn was watching him with a smile on her lips and didn't look away when he made eye contact with him. Moira was scribbling down notes about nuclear war, from the looks of it.

"Individuals with extraordinary abilities may already be among us. Thank you very much" Charles finished, sitting back down.

"MacTaggert, you really think that some crackpot scientist is gonna make me believe on sparkly dames and vanishing men?" the Senator questioned in disbelief. "You just bought yourself a one-way ticket back to the typing pool. This meeting is over" he demanded which made Moira stand up and gather her things.

"Please sit down, Agent MacTaggert. I didn't really expect you to believe me, given that all you could think about during my presentation was what sort of pie they were serving in the commissary" Charles spoke, pausing for a moment. "It's apple pecan" he said.

"I haven't been entirely honest with you, I'm sorry" he apologised to Moira. "You see, one of the many spectacular things my mutation allows me to do is that I can read your mind" Charles continued. "I've seen this before in a magic show. Are you gonna ask us to think of a number between one and ten now?" Agent Stryker laughed arrogantly.

"No, Agent Stryker. Although I could ask you about your son, William, who you were thinking about, which is very nice. But I think I'd much rather ask you about the Jupiter missiles America are currently placing in Turkey" Charles said slowly and Evelyn raised her eyebrows.

"He's a goddamn spy. You brought a goddamned spy into this facility!" the Senator screamed at Moira.

"I did not!" Moira shouted back.

Without a second of hesitation, Raven stood up. Her pale skin turned a vibrant blue, her blonde locks turning ginger and her blue eyes turned yellow. In a second, it all changed back and she looked like Agent Stryker.

"How's that for a magic trick?" Charles remarked as he leant back in his chair, sending a wink at Evelyn. "Best I've ever seen" the man in the black suit stated. "I want them out of here. And locked down until I can figure out what to do" the Senator pointed at the two mutants in disgust. "My facility is off-site. I'll take them" the suit man spoke up again.

~

"I'm glad my assumption was right" Evelyn spoke as she walked beside Charles, Raven and Suit Man walking ahead of them. "You never did tell me how you knew" Charles smiled at the woman. "You're telling me you haven't read my mind yet?" she raised her eyebrows teasingly.

"No, I haven't. I have tried my best to stay out of your mind, despite how much I want to know what goes in that pretty head of yours" Charles smirked. "Well, I think it's fairly obvious that I'm, uh...like you" Evelyn struggled to find the right words.

"You're a mutant" Charles said for her and she nodded. "And what is your gift?" Charles asked. "That's for me to know and you to find out" she smirked. "That is not fair!" he chuckled. "You'll find out eventually" she teased, walking backwards as she winked at him.

"She is going to be the death of me" Charles muttered when she turned back around, a boyish grin on his face.

~

Moira MacTaggert stopped the car in front of the four people. "Agent MacTaggert has a lead on Sebastian Shaw, and if we don't move ow, apparently, we're going to lose him" Charles told Suit Man. "What?" the man furrowed his brows in confusion.

"Not only can he read minds, he can communicate with them as well" Raven explained as she got in the car. "Moira and I just had a lovely conversation" Charles leant on the roof of the car. "That we did" Moira confirmed. "Eve, would you like the front or the back seat?" Charles asked and the woman froze, caught off guard by the nickname.

"Uh-I-the back seat's fine..." Evelyn stammered and Charles smirked as he opened the correct door for her, allowing her to get in. He placed his hand above her head so she didn't hit it and he shut the door behind her. Raven chuckled as she saw how flustered Evelyn was.

"Can I say something?" Evelyn looked over to the blonde.

"Of course" she smiled. "Your mutation is beautiful" Evelyn smiled back. "Thank you" Raven mumbled. "Would you like to see another magic trick?" Charles asked from outside. "Yeah" Suit Man nodded. "Get in the car" Charles placed his fingers to his temple and the man nodded, getting in the car.

"So, Evelyn, are you a mutant too?" Moira asked as she started driving. "Yeah, I am" she nodded. "What can you do?" Moira continued. "Yes, Eve, what can you do?" Charles turned around to look at the woman, who was currently squished in the middle.

"You'll see" she smirked and Charles couldn't help but smile, shaking his head as he turned back around. "Don't worry, it's nothing dangerous" she reassured Moira.

Evelyn hadn't known Charles long but she did know one thing: he was absolutely adorable when he was confused. Actually, he was adorable all the time. But she sure did love teasing him.