Recovering Autobots

My eyes open up to see Optimus and Wheeljack's holoform standing over me. Worry is evident on both of their faces, and I try to swat away the light blinding me in Wheeljack's hand. "If you were wanting to wake me with a headache, you've done a great job."

"Are you okay? Your heart rate kept spiking and your blood pressure started rising." My eyes struggle to regain focus as Wheeljack finally shuts off the light. I look between him and Optimus, trying to figure out how to say this without sounding completely insane. Something speaks in my head, and I let out a long sigh.

"Jazz says hey, big boss."

To say Optimus about glitched out of existence for a split second would be the most accurate thing. Both holoforms step back as I try to sit up. Wheeljack recovers first, a hand on my back to steady me until I am sitting up completely on the couch. I finally notice the base is dark, only a few lights on around the three of us and the computers dim as well. 

"Please explain yourself, Rachel." 

Optimus moves to kneel next to Wheeljack, both in front of me in shock. I give a shrug and retell what happened while I was lying down. I can see the optics of both holoforms moving as I speak, reacting in different ways. Wheeljack's gaze is curious, intrigued, and concerned. Optimus holds sorrow, concern.

Fear.

It flashes only for a moment, but I know what I saw. 

I continue with the story as if it never happened, but I keep that look in my mind. 

As I finish the tale, both stay silent and look at me with mixed expressions. 

"I... Need a moment." Is all Optimus says before fizzling away. His alt form quietly rumbles to life, and I can see it's outline leave out of the base entrance. My eyes threaten to spill tears, but Wheeljack grabs my shoulders and gives a gentle squeeze. "He'll be back. You know how he is with information like this." With a nod, I force back the tears. I know his words are true, but it still hurts.

Wheeljack lets go and stands, but I grab his arm. When he looks down again, I give a sly smirk. 

"No."

"I didn't even say it yet."

"But I know what you're going to ask, and the answer is no."

I give him a pout, not letting his arm go until I see his face cave. He lets out a long sigh, then slowly slips his arm from my grip. "Give me five minutes, alright?" My smile must say enough as he vanishes. I can hear his engine rev as I slowly make myself stand up. His alt form pulls into view, and he swiftly transforms and stands near the platform I am on. He offers a servo, but my eyes turn to the computer still hooked up to my body. 

"I can monitor your vitals." With a smile, I disconnect the wires and carefully move to the edge of the platform. My legs wobble as I near it, but Wheeljack is quick to scoop me up. The minute I'm in his grasp, he transforms back into his alt form and we drive off the same way Optimus did. We drive through a large tunnel. The wall at the end rolls away as we near it, revealing an old road. In the distance is the outline of a town, but Wheeljack turns left down the road.

For a while, we drive in silence. I stare out the window, watching the desert landscape pass by. Soon the desert turns into mountains. The sun starts to rise as a forest begins coming into view. I don't know how much time has passed, but Wheeljack slowly turns into what I can only imagine is a National forest. There is a sign nearby that says 'Mirror Lake trail'. No one is around for miles, but the doors remain locked.

"Rachel."

I can feel the seatbelt tighten around me when I try to move. I know he's just worried, but I'm so tired of all of this. I just want to enjoy nature, stretch my tired legs, and feel like a human again.

And only human.

I grab the handle again, keeping my eyes on the forest. Wheeljack's alt mode lowers itself as he lets out a long sigh. The door finally opens and I cautiously step out. My legs are still shaky, but I stretch myself out completely. The cool air is fresh against my skin, the woods a sweet smell compared to the sands and must of the base. I close my eyes, taking in a deep breath in. I can tell we have traveled pretty far, but these woods conceal us well. The mountains will help also.

Wheeljack transforms behind me, but I can tell he doesn't stand up completely. I can hear his fans behind my head. 

"Rachel."

He doesn't press more, he doesn't tell me I shouldn't be standing. He doesn't have to, I can hear it in his words. Finally, I turn to face him. His faceplates are etched with worry.  I give him a small, tired smile.

"Can we walk to the lake?"

His optics flash for a moment, but he gives a small nod. He straightens up and I turn to start following the trail. My feet are slow, but the pedsteps behind me are the same. He's in no rush, and neither am I. For a while, the only noise around us is wind and the occasional animal rushing by. The soil beneath my feet is cool, calming. I hadn't put shoes on before we left, but now I am glad. How I have longed for this feeling again. The lake appears before us faster than I hoped it would, but still Wheeljack doesn't speak. We stay silent even as my feet near the water. The water is cold, but very refreshing.

My legs suddenly start to shake, but a large servo is behind me before I can even fall. He's gentle as he scoops me up and sets me down on his shoulder. My head lies against the side of his helm. I barely feel movement as he sits himself down. His own peds are now in the water's edge.

"Rachel, are you-"

"I'm scared, Wheeljack."

I feel his helm shift, so I sit up instead. My knees are against my chest as I wrap my arms around my legs. I can feel his optics on me now, but I keep my chin on my arms.

"Everything I knew is a lie. I'm not human anymore, and because of that my life is in danger." I pause, feeling the one fear I've been trying to hold back surface again. "My family could be in danger." I finally turn to look eye to optic with Wheeljack. His gaze is soft, understanding. He turns back to the lake, and I hear his fans kick on as he lets out a long sigh.

"I know words won't always help, but know if your family ever falls into harms way, I'll make sure everyone gets out alright." He pauses for a moment, and I keep my gaze on his helm. I can see the slight movement of his optics. He keeps his head towards the lake.

"I know what it's like to lose your family because of something you couldn't control."

I sigh, moving myself again to lean against his helm. Taking a single headphone from my pocket, I slip it in one ear and music instantly begins playing. It's soothing instrumentals from a famous game, but even Wheeljack sighs again. It's relaxing. 

I let my eyes close, feeling the first bit of peace I have in a long time. No one else is around, and we are safe here.

A little bit of quiet is all we need right now.