Assurance

Dev's POV

I stopped.

All the things came back in my mind.. like a full force hit of a truck. Last thing I remember before falling on the floor is she screaming.

DEV! DEV!! WHAT HAPPENED!! DEVVV!!

Hi! I'm Divya Sharma, College is hard you know..

DEV! UTHO NA KYA HUA!! DEVVV!!

I love you babe.. I love you babe.. I lov-

DEV PLEASE WAKE UP!! KYA HUA!!

Arre.. pagal hai kya tu? Akal nahi hai?

DEV!! TALK TO ME PLEASE KYA HUA!! DEV!!

I love you babe.. I lov-

....

I squinted my eyes, blinking. My mouth squinted a bit, moving my eyeball a bit. I didn't know what time it was. But I touched around, to notice I was on my bed. I moved my head a bit, feeling a slight pain on my shoulder, and when I touched, I felt a band-aid there.

I guess I hit the counter while I feel unconscious.

I remembered exactly what happened, a bit. The panic triggered again, didn't it? Ah.. shitty panic attacks.

I closed my eyes, and my head was still hurting..

FUCK OFF!

I exhaled, and tilted my head to left. My breath stuck near my throat when I noticed Vani. Laying on the bed, her hands under her head, and she was sleeping.

She got me here, and she stayed. She stayed.

My lips curved up into a smile, and I pushed my hands beside to lift myself up.

"Dev.." I heard her. She slowly opened her eyes a bit.

"Vani.." I looked at her eyes, they showed pain and heaviness. She moves herself up on her elbows and touched my shoulder slowly coming closer. She bit her lips and a tear slipped her left eye.

"Vani I'm ok. Don't cry na." I wiped her eye with my right thumb, and smiled at her, trying to ease her worries.

"Did she do it?" Her voice was shaking while she asked. I noticed another tear slip from her other eye. My breath hitched, and I bit my lip. Trying to shake my head in a no, but suddenly, I felt like I can't lie.

I slowly nodded my head while looking at my feet. I was still in my office clothes, my sleeves rolled up as it was. My two top buttons opened, maybe to help the bandaid on my shoulder, that was visible through the shirt cuz it was pulled down.

"I'm sorry.." she looked down and I noticed her breaths hitched. And she shuddered, sobbing, holding her mouth with her left hand. I couldn't help but pull her in a weak hug, feeling helpless and stupid at the same time.

The fucking panic attack. It ruins everything, just a while ago we were cooking and now.. wait! How long has it been?

I looked at the clock and.. it was 1:13 AM! How long have I been unconscious!!

I looked back at her and patted her back. "Vani, it's ok na.. I'm ok, don't worry, nothing happened." I tried to assure her, but she shook her head. "I-its my fault Dev. I.. I'm s-sorry!"

I was feeling so bad about it. I ruined the moment, she'll be having weird feelings about being friends with a psycho like me now. I sighed, not knowing what to do, and caressed her shoulder while hugging her.

"It's ok Vani, it's ok. It's not your fault. You didn't know." I smiled and kept patting her back.

She stopped crying a bit later, and sniffed. I handed her my hanky and she took it. Wiping her eyes and blowing her nose, she gave me back my hanky with her yellow friendly goo in it. I frowned a bit looking at the hanky, holding it. The goo a mere inch away from my index finger, and looked at her, blinking her eyes looking down.

I'll wash it later.

I put the hanky aside, and looked at her. I pressed my right palm against her left one, and squeezed it gently.

"Is it good manner to let a lady cry while I invite her to my abode?" I smiled at her, she chuckled between her tears and shook her head. Wiping her eyes, she looked back at me.

"Dev, you're ok na?" She looked worried while she asked me, and I nodded. "Yeah I'm ok, I'll come back from the bathroom ok? Lemme just wash my face a bit."

I got up from the bed and walked towards the bathroom. I turned the tap, and looked at the mirror, sighing at my reflection.

"What's wrong with me.." I whispered at my reflection, and splashed water on my face. It was feeling soothing and nice. Letting my head calm down and the throbbing pain in my head reduce. I wiped my face and came out of the bathroom after washing my hand and legs as well.

I noticed the books that I had on my chair back in the place, in the shelf. My clothes falling on the chair, folded neat and put aside near the table. Two cups of coffees sitting on the table beside the bed. I looked around to find noone in the room.

"Vani?" I called. While I noticed noone coming, I took my shirt off, and put it on the chair. Pulling out my inner, I put it on the chair as well. Taking off my pants, put it on the chair as well. Taking off my boxe-

I can't, I'm not alone in the house.

I took out my nightwear tshirt and pants put and went inside the bathroom again. I changed into my nightwear and came out of it, looking back, I saw her sitting on the side of the bed, looking at my notes from Engineering and holding a cup of coffee.

She looked up at me when I walked at her, wiping my hair with the towel. "These are my notes, boring right?"

She shook her head and smiled, "No Dev, they are so versatile. And interesting too! I mean.. your handwriting isn't the best, but they are clean!"

I frowned at her, trying to control my smile. "My handwriting is bad you mean?"

"No no! I assure you they are good." She said, and I smiled. Sitting beside her, I took the other cup, and sipped.

"Wow!"

She looked at me, and bit her lips. "I don't know if you like coffee, but I'm a fan of it. Is it good?"

"It's the best coffee I've ever had Vani!" I assured her and took another sip.

"Dev?" She looked at me, I shook my head up asking what it is. "Can I ask you..?"

"Yes, what is it?" I thought I knew what she was gonna ask about.

"Can I ask about your ex?"

"Hmm.." I knew it was coming. The way she was concerned about it. "Don't judge me please? If I tell you.."

I honestly only shared about it wholeheartedly with one person in my life. But he also kindoff, pushed me away. He hurt me the way I never imagined, hitting me with the insecurities I had developed. But, bygones are bygones.

"I assure you Dev, nothing you say will make me judge you." She said to me, and somehow, her assurance felt true. It didn't feel fake or anything, I thought I could trust her.

"Divya.. and I.."

"Mhm?" She looked at the cup, her hands clasping it, playing the fingers around the rim.

"We didn't have a healthy relationship.." I continued.