Seeking Solace

The next day, Austin decided to visit the spot where they had planted the orange tree in memory of his mother. He needed to find some peace and say the things he never got to say.

Emma accompanied him, holding his hand as they walked to the tree. The farm was quiet, the morning air fresh and crisp. When they reached the tree, Austin knelt down and touched its bark.

“Hey, Mom,” he began, his voice soft and filled with emotion. “I miss you every day. I wish you could have met Emma and seen the life we’ve built. I wish I could have said goodbye properly.”

Emma placed a comforting hand on his shoulder as he continued. “I know you’re watching over us. Thank you for being there for me, even now. I promise I’ll take care of everyone, just like you always took care of me.”

A gentle breeze rustled the leaves of the orange tree, and Austin felt a sense of calm wash over him. He stood up, wiping away a tear, and looked at Emma. “I think she heard me.”

Emma smiled and hugged him tightly. “I’m sure she did, Austin. And she’s so proud of you.”

As they walked back to the farmhouse, hand in hand, Austin felt a renewed sense of strength. The past would always be a part of him, but with Emma by his side, he knew he could face whatever the future held.