Bonus Chapter: A Visit From Dad

The nights were growing longer on the farm, the air crisp with the promise of winter. One particular evening, after a day full of hard work and laughter, Austin found himself sitting alone on the front porch, enjoying a quiet moment with a glass of whiskey. The stars were shining brightly above, and the gentle rustle of the trees provided a soothing background melody.

As he sat there, lost in his thoughts, he suddenly heard a familiar noise beside him—a soft, comforting sound that immediately brought back a flood of memories. Austin turned his head slowly, and to his astonishment, there sat his father, David, looking as vibrant and strong as he remembered.

“Dad?” Austin’s voice trembled with a mix of disbelief and emotion.

David smiled warmly, his eyes twinkling in the moonlight. “Hey there, son. Mind if I join you?”

Austin’s heart swelled with a mixture of joy and sorrow. He nodded, unable to find the right words.

For a moment, they sat in comfortable silence, the bond between them as palpable as ever. Then, David placed a reassuring hand on Austin’s shoulder, his touch warm and comforting. “Your mom and I are so proud of you, Austin. You’ve done an incredible job with the farm, and more importantly, with your family.”

Tears welled up in Austin’s eyes, and he took a deep breath to steady himself. “Thanks, Dad. I’ve missed you both so much. There’s so much I want to tell you.”

David’s smile widened. “We’ve been watching, son. We’ve seen it all—the ups, the downs, the laughter, and the tears. You’ve made us prouder than words can express.”

Austin blinked back his tears, his heart full. “I just hope I’m living up to your legacy. I try to make you both proud every day.”

“You are, Austin,” David said, his voice steady and full of love. “You’ve carried our legacy forward in ways we could never have imagined. The love and humor you bring to your family, the way you’ve supported and nurtured them—that’s what truly matters.”

Austin nodded, a smile forming through his tears. “I’ve learned from the best, Dad.”

David gave his shoulder a gentle squeeze. “And you’ve become the best, son. Keep doing what you’re doing. Keep loving, keep laughing, and never forget how proud we are of you.”

With those words, David slowly began to fade, his presence lingering like a comforting embrace. “I love you, Dad,” Austin whispered, his voice filled with emotion.

David’s figure shimmered in the moonlight, and just before disappearing completely, he said, “We love you too, Austin. Always.”

Austin sat there for a few moments longer, the warmth of his father’s presence still lingering in the air. He looked up at the stars, feeling a profound sense of peace and connection. Wiping away a tear, he raised his glass of whiskey in a silent toast to his parents, their love and guidance forever etched in his heart.

As he finished his drink and stood to go inside, Austin whispered to the night sky, “Thanks, Dad. Thanks for everything.”

With a heart full of love and memories, he walked back into the house, ready to face whatever the future held, knowing that his parents were with him every step of the way.