Chapter 4: The Unraveling Truth

Sunoo stared at his phone, the screen filled with missed calls and unread messages from Sunghoon. He hadn't had the courage to respond since he and Ni-ki fled Korea. Each ping of a new message was a painful reminder of the betrayal he had committed. He sighed and shoved his phone into his pocket, trying to push away the guilt that gnawed at him.

Days turned into weeks, and Sunghoon's attempts to contact Sunoo grew less frequent. Sunghoon, feeling increasingly concerned, decided to focus on his work to distract himself. But one afternoon, his world came crashing down.

Sunghoon was summoned to the office of the company president, Mr. Lee. As he entered, he noticed the tense atmosphere. Mr. Lee, usually warm and approachable, had a grave expression on his face.

"Sunghoon, please sit down," Mr. Lee said, gesturing to a chair. Sunghoon obliged, his heart pounding in his chest.

"What's going on, sir?" Sunghoon asked, trying to keep his voice steady.

Mr. Lee leaned forward, placing a folder on the desk between them. "We have a serious issue. Some confidential information about our luxury apartment complex project in Gangnam has been stolen."

Sunghoon's eyes widened in shock. "Stolen? How? When?"

Mr. Lee opened the folder, revealing printed screenshots of CCTV footage. "We reviewed the security tapes from your office. Take a look."

Sunghoon's breath caught in his throat as he saw the images. There was Sunoo, his friend and the person he had started to trust deeply, accessing his laptop and copying files.

"I don't believe this," Sunghoon whispered, his voice trembling. "Sunoo wouldn't do this."

Mr. Lee's expression softened slightly. "I know this is difficult, Sunghoon. It's clear from the footage that Sunoo acted alone. You were out of the office at the time. You're not to blame for this."

But Sunghoon couldn't shake the feelings of guilt and betrayal. "I should have seen the signs. I trusted him."

Mr. Lee nodded. "Trust is a complicated thing. Sometimes, people we care about make choices we can't understand. The important thing now is to focus on damage control. We need to recover from this setback."

Over the next few weeks, Sunghoon threw himself into his work, avoiding his colleagues and friends. He stopped attending social events, ignored calls, and even skipped meals. He was determined to fix the problem, to make up for his perceived failure. But the isolation and stress took a toll on him.

He worked late into the nights, poring over documents and coming up with new strategies to mitigate the damage. He held endless meetings with the project team, pushing them to their limits. His once-friendly demeanor became cold and detached, and his eyes carried a haunted look.

Two months passed, and Sunghoon had managed to stabilize the situation somewhat. The project was back on track, but the cost had been high. His health had deteriorated, and the spark that once lit up his eyes was gone.

One evening, as Sunghoon was leaving the office, his colleague and friend, Jisoo, caught up with him. "Sunghoon, wait up."

Sunghoon turned, his expression weary. "What is it, Jisoo?"

Jisoo looked concerned. "You can't keep doing this to yourself. You've been avoiding everyone, shutting us out. We care about you."

Sunghoon sighed, rubbing his temples. "I just need to fix this, Jisoo. I need to make things right."

Jisoo placed a hand on his shoulder. "You've done everything you can. It's time to let us help you. You're not alone in this."

For the first time in weeks, Sunghoon felt a glimmer of relief. He realized that he couldn't carry the burden alone any longer. He nodded, allowing himself to lean on his friend.

---

Meanwhile, in a small apartment far from Korea, Sunoo and Ni-ki were adjusting to their new life. They had changed their identities and were trying to move on, but the shadow of their actions loomed over them. Sunoo often found himself thinking about Sunghoon, wondering how he was coping.

One evening, as they sat on their balcony, Ni-ki turned to Sunoo. "Do you think Sunghoon will ever forgive us?"

Sunoo sighed, staring at the horizon. "I don't know, Ni-ki. I hope one day he can. But for now, we have to live with the choices we've made."

Ni-ki nodded, placing a comforting hand on Sunoo's waist. "We'll get through this together. One day at a time."

As the sun set, casting a golden hue over the city, Sunoo felt a flicker of hope. He knew the road ahead would be difficult, but with Ni-ki by his side, he was determined to find a way to make amends, even if it took a lifetime.

---

The luxury apartment complex project in Gangnam was finally complete. The grand opening was a spectacular success, drawing admiration and accolades from across the industry. The hard work and relentless dedication of Sunghoon and his team had paid off, and the company was back on solid ground.

The celebration party was held in a lavish ballroom, filled with industry leaders, partners, and the entire project team. Sunghoon stood on the sidelines, a glass of champagne in hand, watching as his colleagues mingled and celebrated. Despite the success, he felt a lingering emptiness. He had poured every ounce of himself into the project, but the betrayal and loss still haunted him.

As the evening progressed, the company president, Mr. Lee, took the stage. The room fell silent as he began his speech.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you all for being here tonight. This project has been a tremendous journey, filled with challenges and triumphs. But tonight, we celebrate not just the completion of the Gangnam luxury apartments but the incredible people who made it possible."

He paused, scanning the room until his eyes found Sunghoon. "There is one person I would like to single out for special recognition. A person whose dedication, resilience, and leadership have been the backbone of this project. Sunghoon, please join me on stage."

The room erupted in applause as Sunghoon, slightly taken aback, made his way to the stage. Mr. Lee greeted him with a warm handshake and a fatherly pat on the back.

"Sunghoon," Mr. Lee continued, "your efforts have been nothing short of extraordinary. In the face of adversity, you showed remarkable strength and determination. You have made us all proud, and for that, we are deeply grateful."

Sunghoon tried to smile, feeling a mix of pride and discomfort. The applause was thunderous, but he couldn't shake the nagging feeling of unworthiness. When the applause died down, he stepped back, ready to return to the shadows, but Mr. Lee had more to say.

"Sunghoon, please stay for a moment. There's something I need to discuss with you."

As the festivities resumed, Mr. Lee led Sunghoon to a quieter corner of the ballroom. He placed a hand on Sunghoon's shoulder, his expression serious yet kind.

"Sunghoon, I know these past months have been incredibly difficult for you. You've been carrying a heavy burden, and it's taken a toll on you. I've watched you push yourself to the brink, and I can't, in good conscience, let you continue like this."

Sunghoon opened his mouth to protest, but Mr. Lee held up a hand. "You've done more than anyone could have asked for. Now, it's time for you to take care of yourself. I'm insisting that you take a three-month vacation. Recharge, reflect, and come back to us ready for the next challenge."

Sunghoon shook his head. "Sir, I appreciate the offer, but I can't just leave. There's still so much to be done."

Mr. Lee's expression softened. "Sunghoon, I think of you as a son. And as someone who cares about you, I'm telling you that you need this. You've proven your dedication time and time again. Trust your team to handle things while you're away. They're more than capable, thanks to your leadership."

Sunghoon hesitated, struggling to accept the idea of stepping away. But the sincerity in Mr. Lee's eyes, the genuine care, finally broke through his resistance.

"Alright," Sunghoon said quietly. "I'll take the vacation."

Mr. Lee smiled, his relief palpable. "Good. Take this time for yourself, Sunghoon. You've earned it."