Chapter 6: A Mother's Birthday and a Father's Worries

It had been a month and a half since Sunghoon arrived at his parents' house in the quaint village where he grew up. The days were filled with the comforting routine of village life, reconnecting with old friends, and the warmth of family gatherings. Yet, despite the peaceful surroundings, a sense of impending decision lingered in the air.

On June 13, the village buzzed with excitement as preparations were made to celebrate Sunghoon's mother's birthday. Relatives poured in from nearby towns, filling the house with laughter, chatter, and the mouth-watering aroma of traditional dishes. Sunghoon felt a mix of joy and nostalgia as he helped set up for the celebration, his mind momentarily free from the heavy thoughts of his father's expectations.

The evening unfolded beautifully. Sunghoon's mother, Park Minhee, dressed in a vibrant hanbok, beamed with happiness as she received heartfelt wishes and gifts from family members. Sunghoon had gifted her a handwoven shawl he had bought from a local market, a token of his love and appreciation. The family shared stories, reminisced about old times, and basked in the warmth of togetherness.

As they gathered around the large dining table, conversations flowed easily.

"Sunghoon-ah, you've grown so much since we last saw you!" exclaimed Aunt Minji, her eyes twinkling with warmth. "The city life must be treating you well."

Sunghoon smiled, feeling the love and support of his family. "It's been an adventure, Aunt Minji. But I miss the simplicity and peace of village life sometimes."

Uncle Hyun, always the jokester, leaned in. "So, Sunghoon-ah, when are you bringing someone home to meet us?"

Laughter erupted around the table, and Sunghoon chuckled, though a pang of anxiety tugged at his heart. "One day, Uncle Hyun. One day."

Aunt Minji winked. "Doesn't have to be a girl, you know. We've always been open-minded. A pretty boy would be just as welcome."

Sunghoon was taken aback but managed a smile, feeling a mix of relief and embarrassment. "I'll keep that in mind, Aunt Minji."

Cousin Jiwoo piped up with excitement. "Sunghoon hyung, do you have someone special in the city? Someone who makes your heart race?"

Sunghoon laughed, ruffling Jiwoo's hair affectionately. "Not quite, Jiwoo. But I'm open to finding that special someone."

The conversation then shifted as Aunt Minji turned to Sunghoon's mother, Park Minhee. "Minhee-ya, we've always supported Sunghoon, and we'll support him no matter who he loves. Have you talked to him about it?"

Minhee nodded, her expression serious yet loving. "We've had our discussions, and we want Sunghoon to be happy. It doesn't matter to us whether he marries a woman or a man. As long as he finds love, that's what matters."

Uncle Hyun joined in, his tone encouraging. "Same-sex marriage is legal now, and society is slowly changing. Love is love, and it's high time we all accepted that."

Aunt Minji sighed, her voice filled with warmth. "We've always known Sunghoon had a special heart. Whoever he loves will be very lucky."

Sunghoon listened, feeling a sense of camaraderie and support from his relatives. "Thank you, everyone. It means a lot to know that you all support me no matter what."

The relatives shared their thoughts and experiences, the conversation weaving through the various facets of love and acceptance. The sense of community and support was palpable, a reminder of the strength of family bonds.

As the evening progressed, Sunghoon brought out the birthday cake he had bought from a renowned bakery in the city. The cake was beautifully decorated with fresh fruits and delicate icing, a sight to behold.

The family gathered around the table, and Sunghoon led them in singing "Happy Birthday" to his mother, Park Minhee. Their voices blended harmoniously, filling the room with love and celebration.

"Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday to you,

Happy birthday, dear Minhee,

Happy birthday to you!"

Minhee's eyes sparkled with tears of joy as she blew out the candles, making a silent wish. The room erupted in applause and cheers, the warmth of family enveloping her.

After the cake was cut and distributed, Sunghoon's father, Park Jinho, raised his glass in a toast. "To Minhee, the heart of our family. May you have many more years of health and happiness. We love you, dear."

"Cheers, cheers!" echoed around the room as everyone raised their glasses, clinking them together in celebration.

As the night wore on and guests began to leave, Sunghoon felt a sense of contentment, grateful for the simple yet profound joy of family. But as midnight approached and the house grew quiet, the weight of his father's expectations crept back into his mind.

Feeling restless, Sunghoon decided to go downstairs to get a glass of water. As he approached the kitchen, he noticed the soft murmur of voices coming from outside. Curiosity piqued, he quietly moved closer and peeked through the window.

His parents were sitting outside on the porch, their faces illuminated by the soft glow of a lantern. They were deep in conversation, their expressions serious and concerned. Sunghoon hesitated for a moment before deciding to eavesdrop on their conversation.

"I'm worried, Minhee-ya," his father, Park Jinho, said in a low voice. "Sunghoon is our only son. I want to see him settled, to have a family of his own before anything happens to me."

His mother, Minhee, gently placed her hand on his arm. "I understand your worries, dear. But we must trust Sunghoon to make his own choices. Forcing him into a marriage won't bring him happiness."

"I know, but time is slipping away," Jinho replied, his voice tinged with desperation. "I've already given him two years to find someone, but nothing has changed. What if something happens to me before he's settled? Who will take care of him then?"

Sunghoon's heart ached as he listened to his father's words. The weight of his father's worries bore down on him, filling him with a profound sense of guilt and sadness. He hadn't realized just how deeply his father's concerns ran, and the thought of causing him such distress was almost unbearable.

Feeling overwhelmed, Sunghoon quietly retreated to his room, his mind swirling with conflicting emotions. He lay down on his bed, but sleep eluded him. The guilt gnawed at him, and his thoughts raced with the implications of his father's worries and his own desires.

As the hours passed, Sunghoon found himself replaying the conversation in his mind, struggling to find a way to reconcile his own dreams with his father's expectations. He knew he couldn't ignore his father's wishes, but the idea of marrying someone he didn't love felt like a betrayal of his own heart.

Sunghoon spent the night tossing and turning, unable to find peace. The dawn light slowly filtered through the curtains, casting a soft glow over the room. Exhausted and conflicted, he knew that a difficult decision lay ahead. With a heavy heart, he resolved to find a way to balance his own happiness with his father's hopes, even if it meant making the hardest choice of his life.

As the sun rose on a new day, Sunghoon felt a sense of determination amidst the turmoil. He knew that the path forward wouldn't be easy, but with the love and support of his family, he hoped to find a way to navigate the expectations placed upon him and carve out a future that honored both his heart and his duty.