Chapter 31: A Glimpse into the Past

June 15th, 2012

Jake had always dreamed of becoming an engineer. From a young age, he had shown an uncanny knack for understanding how things worked, often dismantling and reassembling household gadgets. Despite his family's financial struggles, Jake was determined to pursue his passion. After much persuasion and a bit of family drama, Jake's uncle agreed to pay for his seat at Hanyang University to study mechanical engineering.

By his second year at the university, Jake had become the campus's "pretty boy." His sweet and innocent demeanor, combined with his striking looks, made him popular among students and faculty alike. But Jake was more than just a pretty face; he was a dedicated student with a sharp mind and a kind heart.

One warm afternoon, Jake was on his way to the library when he heard raised voices coming from a nearby courtyard. Curious, he followed the sound and found his friend Wonbin in a heated argument with another student. The other student was tall, with a confident stance and an air of authority. It was Lee Heeseung, the son of a prominent South Korean businessman, known for his carefree and charismatic personality.

"Back off, Wonbin! You don't know who you're dealing with," Heeseung growled, his eyes blazing.

"Oh, I know exactly who you are, Heeseung," Wonbin shot back. "And I don't care."

The argument escalated quickly, and soon Heeseung and Wonbin were pushing each other. Jake rushed forward, his heart pounding. "Stop it! Both of you!" he shouted, stepping between them. He grabbed Wonbin by the arm and tried to pull him away. "It's not worth it, Wonbin. Let's just go."

Heeseung, who had been glaring at Wonbin, suddenly turned his attention to Jake. For a moment, he was struck by Jake's beauty and innocence. The contrast between Jake's calm presence and the chaotic scene was striking. As Jake led Wonbin away, Heeseung felt a strange pull towards him.

Later that day, Heeseung's friends cornered him in the cafeteria. "Heeseung, what was that about?" his friend Jun laughed. "You let that guy go so easily. What's up with that?"

"Heeseung's got a soft spot!" teased another friend, Beomgyu. "Never seen him back down from a fight like that."

Heeseung rolled his eyes, trying to act nonchalant. "Shut up, guys. It wasn't worth the trouble."

"Yeah, right," Jun said, smirking. "You were too busy staring at that pretty boy."

Heeseung felt his cheeks flush. "I was not," he muttered, though his friends' laughter told him they didn't believe him.

Over the next few weeks, Heeseung found himself seeking out opportunities to see Jake. He would linger in the hallways where he knew Jake had classes, and he even started attending events he knew Jake would be at. Despite his usual confidence, Heeseung felt nervous around Jake, unsure of how to approach him.

Jake, on the other hand, was unaware of Heeseung's interest. He was focused on his studies and spent most of his time in the library or with his close friends. One day, Jake and his friends decided to watch a basketball match on campus. As they sat in the bleachers, Jake's friend Wonbin started tickling him, causing Jake to laugh and squirm.

Heeseung, who was playing in the match, noticed the interaction. A pang of jealousy surged through him. Without thinking, he threw the basketball towards Wonbin, aiming for his face. But the ball missed its mark and hit Jake instead, causing him to fall back in pain.

The match was halted, and Jake was rushed to the hospital. Heeseung felt a surge of guilt and wanted to apologize, but just as he was about to leave for the hospital, his father called him urgently. Torn between his duty to his family and his desire to make things right, Heeseung chose to meet his father.

The next day at the university, Heeseung saw Jake in the hallway. He approached him, his heart racing. "Hey, Jake," he began, feeling uncharacteristically nervous. "I'm really sorry about yesterday. I didn't mean to hit you with the ball."

Jake looked at Heeseung, his expression softening. "It's okay. Accidents happen," he replied, offering a small smile.

But Heeseung shook his head. "No, it wasn't an accident. I did it intentionally," he confessed, surprising both himself and Jake. Without another word, Heeseung turned and walked away, leaving Jake standing there, bewildered and intrigued.

----

One sunny afternoon, Jake and his friend Kiara strolled along the road near campus, chatting about their upcoming exams and the latest campus gossip. Jake carried a stack of books, his mind partially preoccupied with a project deadline.

"Honestly, Jake, you need to take a break sometimes," Kiara said, nudging him playfully. "You're always buried in those books."

Jake smiled. "I know, I know. But I need to stay ahead. You never know when a surprise quiz might pop up."

As they strolled along the sidewalk, chatting and laughing, they passed by a small store where Heeseung and his friends were hanging out. Heeseung, who had been absentmindedly talking with his friends, suddenly froze when he spotted Jake from a distance. His heart skipped a beat, and he couldn't help but gaze at Jake lovingly.

"Yo, Heeseung, Earth to Heeseung!" Jun called out, waving a hand in front of Heeseung's face. "You totally spaced out there. What's up?"

Beomgyu followed Heeseung's gaze and chuckled. "Oh, I see. It's that pretty boy again. Man, you're so obvious."

Heeseung's friends began to tease him, making exaggerated kissy faces and whispering, "Heeseung's in love!"

Meanwhile, Jake was blissfully unaware of the attention he was garnering. Kiara, however, noticed Heeseung's gaze and couldn't resist teasing Jake. "Hey, Jake," she said with a mischievous grin, "seems like you've got a secret admirer."

Jake looked puzzled. "What are you talking about?"

"Look over there," Kiara said, nodding towards Heeseung. "The university's hot boy can't take his eyes off you."

Jake blushed and laughed nervously. "You're making that up."

Kiara smirked and leaned closer to Jake. "Looks like you've caught the attention of the university's hot boy, Heeseung."

Jake blushed, shaking his head. "Stop it, Kiara."

"Seriously, Jake. He's been staring at you like you're the only person in the world," she continued, her tone teasing. "I bet he's totally into you."

Jake laughed nervously. "You're imagining things."

Kiara grinned mischievously. "Am I?" She reached out and started tickling Jake's sides, making him squirm and laugh uncontrollably.

"Stop it, Kiara!" Jake managed to say between giggles. In his ticklish state, he lost his grip on the stack of books he was carrying, and they fell onto the road.

Kiara had already crossed the street, still laughing, while Jake knelt down to pick up his books. He didn't notice the car speeding towards him. Just then, Heeseung, who had been watching the scene intently, saw the danger. His heart pounded as he yelled, "Jake, watch out!"

Heeseung sprinted towards Jake with all his might, pushing him out of the car's path just in time. They both tumbled to the ground, and in the process, Heeseung accidentally ripped Jake's shirt, leaving it in tatters.

A crowd began to gather, murmuring in concern. Jake, feeling a mix of embarrassment and shock, quickly stood up and covered his chest with his hands. His face flushed red, and without looking back, he bolted from the scene, leaving Heeseung kneeling on the ground, breathless and filled with guilt.

As Jake disappeared around the corner, Kiara rushed back to Heeseung. "What happened? Is Jake okay?" she asked, her voice trembling with worry.

Heeseung nodded slowly, still catching his breath. "Yeah, he's fine. Just... embarrassed."

Kiara sighed in relief, then turned to Heeseung with a grateful smile. "Thank you for saving him. That was really brave of you."

Heeseung barely heard her. His mind was consumed with thoughts of Jake, and the guilt of having unintentionally embarrassed him in front of everyone. He stood up, dusting himself off, and looked in the direction Jake had run off.

"I need to find him," Heeseung said determinedly, his voice steady. "I need to apologize."